24 - collision

“The people you love will change you, the things you’ve learnt will guild you.”
I am Moana (Moana)

He’s wearing a red T-shirt and black jeans and trousers. His hair is still in a neat bun and there are is few stubbles on his face, not a bad thing. His left hand is stuffed into his pocket while his right hand is holding a small, white ceramic cup on a small ceramic plate.

I do feel relieved that it’s Luke because deep down I know I can trust him, even though I’d never admit it to him any day.

“I do.” He affirms with a nod, “you ran into that pillar. It has happened to me multiple times, and that was when I first moved into this house.” there’s a little humour in his voice and it just makes my head hurt more.

“Well, this isn’t my house and I would never have run into a pillar if I was in my house!” I snap, trying to glare at him and failing every attempt.

He doesn’t answer me. Instead, he moves closer with a careful look as he stares at my head. “We’ll need to remedy that.” he said instead, his hand reaching for my head.

I step back before his hand can touch me. “I’m fine,” I dismiss stubbornly.

“You’re not fine A.G,” he says in a matter-of-fact tone. “you’re hungover and your head is swelling from being massively bumped against the pillar. I had many cases of concussion when I had mine.”

There are a lot of questions going through my head, but the most important one is, “Why the hell did you just call me A.G?”

“Avril, good is your name, right?”

My brow rises. “Yeah, so?”

“I shortened it and thought A.G sounded nicer.” I give him the weirdest outlook I have. “If you don’t like it, I’ll never call you that again.” He hands me the cup in his hand.

I collect the cup from his hand, but I’m in no haste to drink it. “My head is swelling, isn’t it?” I ask, glancing up at him as my left hand touches the side of my head that’s swollen.

“Yeah, but we can remedy that, but you have to trust me.”

Does it look like I have another option available?

Twenty minutes later, I’m back on the bed in the room I left earlier and Luke is sitting on a stool in front of me, trying to put pressure on my head with an ice pack. He seems to know how to do it well. Maybe he was telling the truth about running into the pillar multiple times himself in the past.

“You’re staring,” he points out, although not looking at me.

I look away from him and fiddle with my fingers around the cup. “Did we do it last night? I still can’t remember a thing.”

“Would you have wanted us to?” He asks, his attention still on my head.

I shrug, “I don’t know. I just know I would have been much more devastated if it wasn’t you I saw earlier, plus I am naked.”

For the first time in six minutes, Luke let turn to look at me. “You’re not helping by telling me you’re naked, you know.”

My eyes narrow at him. “You saw me earlier and you’ve seen me naked before, so what do you mean?”

“Having seen you naked before and being told you’re naked now underneath these sheets isn’t the same thing. It’s as though you’re baiting me and I’m a man. I might fall for it.”

“Then why didn’t you fall for it last night? Because from what I see, I’m sure that nothing happened between us.”

“You wanted it to. I did too, but I couldn’t go on with it.”