23 - heaven

“It’s like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert, but I’m holding you closer than most ‘cause you’re my heaven.”
~Ron Pope (a drop I’m the ocean)

“I made a deal with the devil and even though the contract will soon be over, I fear the damage done may never go away.”

“I’m sorry Avril, I never knew,” Wesley says and places his hand on mine, which is on the counter.

I squeeze his hand in gratitude, but I shake my head, dismissing his apology. “Don’t be sorry Wesley, none of it was your fault. Like you said before, shit happens to us all.”

Marc walks back to our spot after serving some people their drink. “If it’s any consolation, Avril, I think Noah is a dick and I hope you get to leave and move on.”

“Thanks, guys,” I say, wiping the tears that run down my face away.

Wesley gets down from his seat.now, “We should go now, Avril.” He says as I take another drink.

“But I’m not even drunk!” I whine, pathetically trying to move away from his hands.

He wraps his arms around me and helps me down from the seat. “Believe me, every drunk person would say the same thing if confronted.”

“He’s acting like my boyfriend, but he’s not. He likes my best friend and my best friend hates his guts,” I say to Marc.

I should not have said that. I’m sorry because I saw how much Marc was drooling over Wesley earlier and saying this might now be the best choice.

“Why can’t I close my mouth?!” I exclaim helplessly.

“Cause you’re drunk,” Wesley replied.

I turn to look at Marc. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“Not telling me it was a gay bar the moment I walked in.”

He smiles cutely. “You’re welcome.”

We both step outside and I wince at the cold that engulfs me even as Wesley’s strong arms try to keep me warm. We are both wearing t-shirts and it’s not such a strong defence against the cold, but then I remember Wesley told me he bathes in ice so he may not feel the cold as much as I do notwithstanding, I hope we make it home quickly.

I look up at him and wonder if he’s even drunk. My loud mouth gets the better of me though because I immediately ask, “Are you drunk?”

He glances down at me, but shakes his head. “Not even close.”

My eyes dim as my brain does a quick math of the shots I had. “How am I drunk, then? I don’t feel drunk ‘cause I only had four.”

“You had seven.” He corrects with complete assurance.

I laugh and brushed his chest. “Someone was counting.”

“I wasn’t the only one counting.” He pointed out.

“Cutie was counting too?” There’s a rich curiosity in my voice and he hears it, too.

“You know he’s gay, right?” He asks, with a startled tone.

“Yeah? Caught him checking you out a few times. Did you notice?” I glance up at him.

He nods, “I did.”

I am asking a lot of questions, but I can’t help it. I’m too inquisitive. “You like him?”

He shrugs and scratches his head. “He’s a cool guy, but I don’t think I do. The only guy I know I like is Hadid.”