27 - dedicated

“We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again.”
Just give me a reason ~ by P!nk.

My eyes widen as I stare at what looks like a white diamond ring on mom’s finger. “So you’re getting married?”

They both nod instantly. “We came over here to ask for your blessing.” Alex says, staring at me.

I really can’t say I’m surprised, blown away probably, but not surprised. In the times I visited them, I saw how fond of each other they were and I admired that. They were in love and were never afraid to show it.

“You two are good together, and I can’t be happier for you. You have my blessing.”

Felicity takes my hand and softly squeezes it. “Thanks, Avril, that means a lot to us.”

“You’re welcome. When is the wedding date?” I ask quickly.

“On Saturday the 23rd.” They reply in unison.

“That’s three weeks from now!”

“We honestly can’t wait. We have already taken the church we want as well as the preparation. All we need is your support.”

And it all comes down to it.

“Financially,” I say under my breath and my teeth grit and my anger in an uproar.

I am on board with their wedding and I wish them the best of everything, and will also contribute my quarter to making it work, but what I’d hate is to be looked upon like some Santa clause.

She nods, not denying what I had said, “We were wondering if-“

“I could ask Noah for money?” I pull my hand from hers and get up, stepping back from them. “No, I’m not doing that and I can’t even believe such a thought crossed your mind knowing what I feel about Noah!” I exclaim in disbelief and disappointment.

“Avril, listen. We weren’t asking you to ask Noah for money,” Felicity quickly speaks up, also getting up,

“What are you doing, then?” I demand, still filled with anger.

Alex gets up as well. “Over the last couple of months, I’ve been able to rally around and get back your college fund, the one I gambled, and I’ve got the whole £30,000 with me here.” Alex explains, dipping his hands into his sweater’s pocket and bringing out a brown envelope.

Felicity carefully takes a step closer to me, her eyes showing uncertainty and fear. “I know taking your money got you into this mess in the first place, believe me when I say I’d give anything to go back and change that and I still haven’t been able to forgive myself for what I caused you and I never will, but what we want is to use a little from this money for the wedding and afterwards we can pay back.”

I stare between the two of them for a few moments and the look on their faces shows they are indeed together and telling the truth and this helps push down my anger.

I turn to felicity, “Please leave us.” She nods and walks away into the kitchen and closes the door. Once I know she’s gone, I ask. “How much do you need to make the wedding work?” To Alex, who is now standing with a bowed head.

“We’d be okay with £15,000. We hope to make it a small wedding for friends and family,” he answers.

“Then take the money and keep the rest for after the wedding.”

His eyes widen in confusion, and he walks towards me. “You don’t want the money?”

I shrug indecisively. “Mom was right. Taking my money and giving it to you was what got me into this mess in the first place, but collecting it now won’t take me out of it. I know you’re a good man Alex, I know you love and care about my mom and the money in your hand goes to show you’re willing to make amends and do whatever needs to be done to see what you have with my mom succeed. So I’m going to give it to you as my way of saying. I support you two and do not want you penniless after the wedding is done.”