12 - brother

“And now it’s time to build from the bottom of the pit right to the top. Don’t hold back. “
~Imagine Dragons (It’s time)

“Well, I’ve got to go mom, tell Japhia that he can come to say that to my face,” I say before ending the call and tossing the phone on the bed.

I button up my red long-sleeve and nod my black tie in front of my bedside mirror. I pick my band in front of my dressing mirror and band my hair into a bun. Mykeep, beard is coming out and I’m still in a dilemma to shave or keep it so today I’m making them stay on. Once that’s out of the way, I pick my black suit from the bed, my lighter and the packet of cigarettes on the top of the drawer close to my bed. I pick up my phone and slide it into my pocket.

I make my way out of my room and as I walk to the living room and I see Noah sitting down on the couch.

He looks dressed and ready for an early morning in a black suit and trousers, and I wonder if he plans on spending the day at my house. Saying I’m not surprised to see him would be a lie because I am, but more importantly, I’m curious to know how he got into my house.

“You look surprised to see me,” He remarks and I see his blue eyes obvious with mischief.

“What are you doing in my house, and how did you get in?”

“Do I need a reason to visit my twin brother?” a dramatic look of hurt appears on his face as he gets up from the couch, “You know you’re not a good brother, cause I’ve been on a business trip these past few days and you never called and now you don’t even say welcome, how was your trip?!”

“I don’t care about your trip,” I say dismissively.

He gasps and dramatically places his hand on his chest. “Ouch!”

I glare at him and continue speaking, “Because I know mischief follows you everywhere.”

He smirks and takes a bow. “My reputation precedes me. What can I say? And I know you do care, so I’m going to say it was great, thank you.”

“What do you want in my house?!” I thunder, this time louder and angrier.

“I wanted to give you some heads up, little brother. You know Leeds university is large. I don’t want you losing your way like you did when we were younger.”

“I won’t. Thanks for your concern.”

He raises his hands in surrender. “I’m glad you’re doing the march. I can’t stand being you... I can when it’s for doing fun things like messing around, especially with those who can’t tell us apart like Ali-“

My face hardens, and I surge towards him, but he backs away immediately. “Say her name one more time and I’ll knock all your teeth out.”

“Woah! Easy tiger, what’s done is done and besides, she’s already in a better place... At least you think that.”

“You don’t get to talk about her,” I warn again with my teeth tightly gritted.

“Fine, you mind if I take one?” He asks, pointing to the packet of cigarettes in my hand.

I do not answer and he moves closer when he gets close enough; he opens the pack and picks one stick out; he takes my lighter from my hand and lights his cigarette up.

He takes a long but slow drag of it and his eyes close dreamily as he blows it into the air. “Didn’t think I’d ever see you with this again, but when I heard.”

“Heard, who told you?”

I shouldn’t be surprised anymore because Noah has always enjoyed prying into my life and watching me like a hawk, but I can’t help but ask because I thought he’d grown past that after these years.