3 - mom

“Keep your head up. Nothing lasts forever.”
~Kelly Clarkson (People like us)

.
“So she never actually used the money?!” Hadid exclaimed in surprise.

I just finished telling him about the encounter I’d had with my mom four days ago and how it all went down.

Hadid travelled to his country, Egypt, for his mother’s 50th birthday and although I wanted to come along, I knew my position at work and school wouldn’t let me. I’d been able to meet Mrs Angela Mina twice in the past and, to be honest, she was one of the best people I’ve ever met. Having three boys, she said she considered me the daughter she never had.

Hadid brought me a few gifts from home, two of which were from his mother, and some were still untouched.

“Bring down your voice,” I hushed Hadid up.

As an attendant at the library, it was my duty to tell people the quiet rules of the library and its most obvious rule was silent reading and talking; so I do not want Hadid to break those rules because of me.

That wouldn’t be so cool.

“Sorry,” he quietly apologized.

I nod. “According to what she said, all the money is actually with Lucas and she stupidly believes he was investing it for her.”

“You can’t blame her. Love does crazy things to people.”

I glared at him and his silly excuse, “If we lose all our senses because of love, it’s no longer love but foolishness.”

He gives me the look that way I get it and to be honest, he hasn’t gotten anything.” You’ve never been in love Avril. I get why you don’t understand."

“I do not plan on understanding foolishness and if that’s love, I hope I never find it.” I seethe getting angry that he even made a such remark towards me.

He chuckled and covered his mouth, making me frown at him in confusion. “You know the funny thing about life? Those who hate love fall and love harder.”

I roll my eyes, “Remind me of that the day you see me madly in love and losing my sense of reasoning.”

Grinning from cheek to cheek, “I will.” He replied. “How’s the campaign been in my absence, then?” He asked, changing the subject.

“It’s been great. Don’t worry, I’ll fill you up with all you missed.”

“Yeah, like the date you and Marcel went on,” he smiled sheepishly, wiggling his brow at me, “I think it was too good or too bad that you couldn’t tell me on Skype.”

I rolled my eyes again. “We are good the way we are.”

His brow cocks inquisitively, “What way are you two, then?”

“We are friends,” I answered. Honestly, I excepted Hadid to poke and make fun, but he says nothing and I was grateful for that.

Henry, one of the senior librarians, approached us and I glanced up at him, wondering what he has to say because we’d been quiet for the last few minutes we’d been talking.