Chapter 6

"Hyunjae?"

Namjoon puts down his towel that he was using to dry some mugs and heads over to the counter. He greets me with his usual smile and then he turns towards Jungkook, who is just standing there, a bit awkward.

"Who's that? Taehyung's replacement?" Namjoon asks with obvious curiosity. I mean, why wouldn't he be curious? I never hang around with anyone other than Taehyung. When I come here, it's either alone or with Tae and I've never brought someone else before in the months I've been visiting this coffeeshop. And Namjoon knows that.

"We both know that Tae is irreplaceable, Joonie," I reply with a smirk. "This is Jeon Jungkook. I'm working with him on an assignment. Jungkook, this is Kim Namjoon. He makes the best coffee." I pause a second and continue with a small smirk. "If he doesn't break anything in the process."

"Uh, nice to meet you," Jungkook says with an uncomfortable smile. It's probably weird to talk to the barista this much. But for me, it's just a common thing. Whenever I come here, Namjoon's always there.

"So, Americano for Hyunjae," he says without even bothering to ask me. "What can I do for you?" He gives Jungkook a friendly smile and the kid seems to relax a bit. His eyes scan the menu display behind the counter. "A Caramel Frappuccino," he says after a while.

"I'm on it," Namjoon sings. He walks over to the coffee machines as we wait for him to prepare our order. "That will be 5000 won for Hyunjae and 7000 won for Jungkook. Are you paying together?"

We both look at each other. "No," we say in unison.

"That's clear," Namjoon grins. We both pay and then he hands us our coffee. "Thanks, Joonie. See you later," I say. Namjoon flashes me a bright smile before returning to his work -drying off coffee mugs.

Jungkook follows me towards an empty table in the corner of the coffeeshop. We both sit down opposite of each other. It stays silent for a while, until Jungkook speaks up first. "So you're friends with the barista?" he asks. No shit sherlock, I thought it was obvious.

"Yep," I reply before taking a sip of my hot coffee.

An awkward silence follows once again. We're both just sipping from our drinks, listening to the voices around us. Several girls in the coffeeshop seem to recognize Jungkook and they start staring and whispering like crazy. Jungkook doesn't seem to like this kind of attention. He shrinks back in his chair even more.

"Ignore it and it'll go away eventually," I remark

He nods and reaches for his bag, placing in on the chair next to him. He takes out a paper -probably the assignment- and places it on the table in front of him. "So," he says, suddenly all serious. Oh God, what did I get myself into? Why did I agree? Oh, Taehyung. He should be really thankful once I'm done with this assignment. "This assignment is due over a month," Jungkook reads from the paper.

"Good," I sigh as I take another sip from my coffee. "So we have plenty of time, meaning you can stop bugging me every free second that I have."

"Yah, I rather hand in assignments earlier," Jungkook states. "I'd like to keep my reputation. What about two weeks?"

I almost choke on my coffee. "Woah woah, hold your horses, Kookie. You're working with me now so slow down a bit." Two weeks? Is he crazy?

"Don't call me that ever again," Jungkook sighs while glaring at me.

"Wow, easy." I hold up my hands in a mocking way. "I won't call you that again." Kookie.

"So," I say as Jungkook doesn't respond. "I think we're done for today, right?" I stretch my arms as I look up at him. He stares back with a dumbfounded expression. "Already? We-"

"We looked at the deadline," I cut him off. "That's more than I did in the past few years together."

Jungkook groans in disbelief. "Why are you like this?"

I shrug my shoulders. He wouldn't understand. I don't know why he is so eager to study. It's something I don't understand. That's why I think that he wouldn't understand my reasons. I don't even know myself.

"Okay, I get it." Jungkook puts the assignment paper back in his bag, not looking too pleased. "At least finish your coffee before you leave."

"I was already planning on that," I reply before taking another sip. He just nods, obviously disappointed in me.

I might feel a little bit bad about my attitude. But that's all. The fact that I'm sitting here, even thinking about this assignment, is a miracle itself. Jungkook should be happy.

We finish our coffee in silence. We have no reason to talk to each other, so we don't.

"Yah, I'm done," I say as I loudly place my now empty cup on the table. "Let's go."

Jungkook frowns as all the customers glare at me. "You're always being loud, huh?" He puts his cup down as well, a lot more subtle than I did. Then he raises from his seat and grabs his bag. "Next week, you have to do better." He gives me one last look, almost desperate, before he turns around to leave the coffeeshop.

Oh. Okay.

Soon after, I leave the coffeeshop with a frown. That Jungkook kid is a weirdo. He's rather... rude and harsh for a top student. Not the Goody Two Shoes I expected him to be. If he wasn't that focused on studying, we might have been friends. Maybe. He doesn't seem half that bad.

Yeah, it's a shame.

•••

Tadah! Namjoon in a coffeeshop outfit. Hehe.

 Hehe