Chapter 40

Part of me expected Jungkook to act normal again the day after. That he would wear his uniform properly again, that the black hair dye was a cheap temporary thing that would disappear after one shower, that he would act shy and polite again.

But he didn't.

It has been a few days now since the big change and he seems to be content with his newfound self.

A lot of girls are basically swooning over him, even more than before. Everytime he passes by, they stop in their tracks and stare at him, their mouths agape. One day, they'll probably end up in the infirmary because they've fainted.

But there are also lots of girls that don't like this new Jungkook. And these girls blame me for what happened to him. Yeah, I gained quite a few enemies over the days. Not that I really mind, though. Most of them are harmless, just telling me -almost begging- that I should leave Jungkook alone. They are so easy to ignore.

By the way, there is one right in front of me now. The hallways are empty and I was just walking around in peace, going back to my classroom after using the restroom. Until this girl showed up.

Her legs were slightly apart as she planted her legs on the tile floor, her arms akimbo as she gives me the most malicious glare I've ever seen coming from a girl.

"Kang Hyunjae," she snarls, her face twisted into a nasty scowl. Definitely trying to intimidate me. Unfortunately for her, it isn't working.

"That's me," I dryly respond as I raise my eyebrows in a questioning look.

I don't even know this girl. She is pretty, I must give her that. If she didn't have that vicious look on her face, that is.

"Jungkook is changing because of you," she continues, almost at the point of screaming. Damn, these fangirls nowadays. "And not in a good way. Stop hanging around with him immediately."

I almost snort in laughter at her words. But I contain myself and give her a look of amused disbelief instead. Who does that girl think she is?

But then, two strong arms snake around my waist as I'm being hugged from behind. A chin rests on my shoulder and the girl seems to freeze on the spot.

"Why don't you stop bothering my sweet Hyunjae?"

His hot breath tickles my skin as Jungkook speaks, making his voice sound deep and husky. My heartbeat increases alarmingly fast.

The girl in front of my flushes bright red within seconds as she opens and closes her mouth a few times in shock until she bites her lower lip. She gives me one last poisonous look before she turns around and stomps off.

Then I turn around to face Jungkook. The moment our eyes meet, he breaks into a silly smile, contradicting how he acted just a minute ago. Now cute innocent bunny is back.

"Thanks for saving me," I mutter. This girl didn't look as harmless as her predecessors. Of course, nothing I can't handle but it was nice that Jungkook was there.

"No problem," he replies with his bunny smile. "Mrs. Weon asked me to look for you since it took you a while."

That really sounds like Mrs. Weon. I nod and Jungkook gestures down the hallway, telling me to go to class again. He places a light kiss on my forehead before he turns around and starts walking again.

He probably thinks that I didn't notice the hastily covered up bruise on his jaw.

But I did.

•••

During Korean class, I can't help but stare at the other side of the classroom, where Jungkook is seated. I watch how he's listening attentively to whatever Mrs. Weon is saying.