Chapter 17

There’s an awkward silence as we’re eating dinner. Well, awkward for us at least. My mom is extremely satisfied with the fact that I had ‘finally’ -I just met that kid like a week ago- brought Jungkook over and she can’t stop smiling at him. He’s getting used to it rather fast and now he kindly returns her smiles.

“I’m so glad to finally meet you, Jungkook,” my mom says again. She has the most beaming smile I’ve ever seen plastered on her face as she looks at him. “Hyunjae told us so much about you.”

Wait. That’s not even true. It wasn’t that much.

Jungkook breathes out an awkward laugh. “R-Really? She did?”

No mom, I didn’t. I hardly know anything about this boy. I mean, what do I know? His name is Jeon Jungkook, he’s 17 years old and he’s in the same class. Basic information. Oh, he hates the nickname ‘Kookie’.

This is painful. This entire experience is painful. The silence is painful. My mom’s behaviour is painful and on top of that extremely embarrassing. She keeps trying to engage small conversations with Jungkook and she doesn’t seem to notice that he’s feeling uncomfortable. Poor Jungkook.

On the other hand, he seems to be enjoying my mom’s cooking. Everyone does, since she’s a great cook. At least he doesn’t have to pretend that it’s okay. He already seems to have enough trouble and now he doesn’t have to worry about how embarrassing it would be if the food was horrible.

“Jungkook, why don’t you tell us anything about your hobbies? How do you spend your free time?” It’s the first time my dad speaks up. I almost forgot that he was here too. Most of the time, he doesn’t speak while eating. ‘Dinner is for eating,’ he always says. ‘Not for talking.’ He has a point.

Jungkook shrugs his shoulders. “I don’t really have any hobbies,” he admits. “There are several sports that I like but I don’t really have time for that. I spend most of my time studying to keep my grades up.” My parents are basically swooning over his reply. This is probably what they wanted their daughter to be like, as they are both successful business people. And then they’re stuck with me.

“I know your father, Jungkook,” my mom begins. “He is always talking about how proud he is of his son. I never thought I would actually meet his son!”

Jungkook’s polite smile seems to falter a bit at the mention of his dad but he quickly recovers. “He does? It’s so nice to hear something like that.”

Both my parents didn’t seem to notice it, but I did. He did recover his smile, but it was fake. Obviously fake. It’s probably nothing, since he’s nervous to the bone or something.

“Tell me, Jungkook,” my dad says after a while, shooting Jungkook with another question. “What did you do to get our Hyunjae to working on school assignments?”

Jungkook thinks for a second. “I used my charms,” he replies with an innocent smile that’s meant for me. Both my mom and dad burst out in laughter at Jungkook’s remark and I internally cringe. That is definitely not true. It were his weird mood swings. They drove me insane and the insanity caused me to study.

“Then you must have a lot of charm, kiddo,” my dad says with a huge grin. “I’ve used up all of my charms without any success.”

“Apparently,” Jungkook responds with the same grin as my dad’s. Oh, they’re getting along.

“I wish I had brought a desert,” my mom sighs as we all finished our meals. “It would’ve been perfect for the occasion.” She gives Jungkook an apologetic look.

“It’s okay.” Jungkook gives my mom a reassuring smile. “Dinner was already a treat, it was delicious.”

My mom genuinely looks like she’s about to faint.

After dinner, we do our usual chores. Dishes, cleaning the kitchen, emptying the trash bins. My mom told Jungkook that he shouldn’t be helping since he is a guest. But Jungkook being Jungkook, he insisted, making my parents look even happier. If that was even possible. Right now, he’s helping my mom with the dishes while I’m taking out the trash. I just hope he will be fine on his own.

As I enter the kitchen they are done with the dishes. Jungkook and my parents are gathered around the kitchen table, engaged in a conversation that seems to be amusing since they’re all smiling.

Woah, he’s already infiltrating into my family.

Jungkook looks up and upon noticing me he gives me his bunny smile before turning back to my parents. “I should be going,” he politely says as he raises from his seat. He grabs his bag and slings it over his shoulder. “Thank you for the delicious food.” He gives my parents a small bow.

“I hope to see you again, Jungkook,” my mom calls out as we leave the kitchen. I give Jungkook a small smile. “My parents seem to love you already,” I say, stating the obvious.

“Thank God, they do.” Jungkook lets out a chuckle. “Yah, Hyunjae. Can you walk with me for a bit? I don’t know the way around here. I’m sorry.” He gives me an apologetic smile.

“Oh, it’s fine,” I shrug as I quickly put on my shoes. With a small sigh of relief, Jungkook puts on his coat and we’re ready to leave the house.

It’s already dark outside and the streets are only illuminated by the dim light coming from the streetlights. It’s cold so we both have our hands tucked into our pockets. Fortunately, it’s not raining. Jungkook and I are walking next to each other on the sidewalk in complete silence. But this time, it’s not the slightest bit awkward. I think we’re both just processing this day and all that has happened.

“Yah, you can go home,” Jungkook speaks up as we reach a certain point. “I know the way from here.”

I call out his name before he can walk away. It has been bothering me ever since. I have to ask this.
“Jungkook,” I begin as he gives me a questioning look. “Why do you want to kiss me?”

I expected the atmosphere to turn awkward in an instant. But it doesn’t happen.

Jungkook just looks at me, his expression deadly serious. “Because I want to, okay?” he bluntly replies. “I want to kiss you.”

And with that, he walks away, leaving me alone with my poor heart as I watch him walk off in the distance  until he is out of sight. And far after that.