IMAGINE: Luke wanting to adopt you, an orphan

| IMAGINE for @hufflelock |

     You hide behind a few crates, waiting. One of the restaurant workers throw multiple bags of garbage in the dumpster and then walk through the back door of the restaurant, the door shutting it behind her. You look both ways in the alley before scampering over to the dumpster. You open it, ignoring the smell, and pull out the garbage bags.

      You're a homeless, orphaned girl. You've been on your own for almost a year now—finding shelter in cardboard boxes and scrounging around for food in the dumpsters. It's a rough life, but it's the only way you've been alive for this long.

      You start to open the bag when you hear someone clear his throat. You look up, caught red-handed.

     "Aren't you a little young to be a garbage picker?" The man asks.

     You sigh. "Not really." You mutter.

     "What are you doing here? Where are your parents anyways?"

     You stare up at him. "I don't have any. They're dead." You bite out.

      The man's eyes widen in realization. "Oh...you're an orphan." He breathes, his eyes scanning over your dirt smudged face and filthy clothes. You nod and look away from him. The man kneels next to you. "I'm Luke." He says kindly.

     "I'm Y/N."

      "Well, Y/N, have you got any friends?"

     "I've just got me." You answer, looking at him.

      "Well I'll be your friend if you want me to...?" He offers. You nod, a small smile on your face.

———

     Luke holds your hand as you walk out of the clothes store with a fresh new outfit on, thanks to Luke. He decided you shouldn't remain in your dirty clothes, so he and you went shopping for some new ones.

     "So, Y/N, where would you like to eat?"

     "What?" You ask incredulously, looking up at him.

     "Don't think you're going back to the garbages. Not on my watch, missy." He cocks his head. "When was the last time you had a proper meal anyways?"

     "Uhh...." You say, thinking. "A couple of weeks ago. Someone bought me a burger from McDonald's."

     "Pssh, okay, we're not doing fast food. We'll go some place nice." He smiles at you.

     "Thanks, Luke." You grin up at him. He squeezes your hand and walks down the strip of stores and restaurants.

     After dinner and dessert, Luke and you stand next to where he found you. "This is where you live?" He asks, staring at the mountain of cardboard boxes.

     "Yep! It's actually pretty nice inside. There's some old blankets in there that I found. It's pretty cozy. Except when it rains." You explain. Luke stares at you in horror. "It's not that bad! Really. You get used to it after a while." You smile to reassure him. He doesn't buy it.

     "Well, thank you so much for everything today, Luke. No one has been this kind to me since before my parents died. I'll see you around sometime, okay?" You say, before hugging.

     "Wait, wait, wait." Luke says, taking your shoulders and pulling you back to look at you. "You're crazy to think I'm letting you stay here in this cardboard box mansion at night on your own. No way." He shakes his head.

     "I have nowhere else to go, so yes I'm staying here."

      "I'm getting you your own hotel room for tonight." He states suddenly.

     "What?!" You sputter.

     "Y/N, I can't let you stay outside. That's not-that's not who I am. I'd be up all night worried sick about you." He explains. "We'll go get you a hotel room for the night and then we'll figure out what to do for tomorrow, okay?" He says, his look boding no argument.

       "You're like my father." You laugh sadly.

     He smiles sympathetically. "Who's going to take care of you if your parents are unable? They would want to know that someone is taking care of you and you're not just fending for yourself."

     "I'm not fending for myself. I've got you." You smile up at him, slipping your hand into his.

———

     For the next three weeks, Luke has practically taken over the role of father in your life. You haven't felt this great since before your parents died. Every night you go to bed clean with a full stomach. It is the things you used to dream about when you were living in your cardboard house behind the restaurant. You don't want it to end.

       A knock sounds at your hotel room than you've been living at for the past weeks. "Y/N, it's Luke." Luke says.

      You open up at the door and throw yourself into his arms. "Good morning, Luke!"

       He pulls you back and gives you a smile. "Y/N, I need to talk to you about something." He states. Your smile drops and your stomach plummets. Fear wraps around your heart like a band. He's going to tell you that he can't take care of you—that you're too expensive—and he's going to kick you to the curb, you just know it. You fight back the tears.

     Just when you thought someone might actually adopt you and call you their one. Just when you thought you were going to be loved again.

     "Okay." You breathe shakily as Luke leads you to sit down on the couch.

"Y/N, I got an acting job that's going to start filming in Spain in three weeks." Luke states.

     "You're leaving me." You cry out, tears in your eyes.

     "Y/N, I–" He starts.

     You jump to your feet. "No, no, no!" You exclaim. Tears splatter down your cheeks. You look at him. "How could you be so cruel? How could you do all these nice things for me when you were just going to leave me alone again?" You sob. "I thought you cared for me...loved me even." You whisper through a crackled voice.

     "Y/N, no, you don't--"

     "Now you're just leaving me." You state coldly.

     Luke jumps to his feet. "Y/N, I'm not leaving you! I want to adopt you!" He exclaims.

You stare at him through wide eyes, your jaw dropped. "You what?!" You gasp.

       Luke goes to you and kneels in front of you, his hands on your shoulders. "Y/N, I can't even imagine leaving you behind here. You've filled this void I have had in my heart for so long. I couldn't imagine going through the rest of my life without you in it. I love you and I want to adopt you as my daughter, if that is what you'd like." He says wistfully, smiling.

      You start crying happily and hug him tightly. "That's all I've ever wanted." You weep into his neck. "I was so scared—so scared you were going to leave me behind and forget about me."

     He looks at you and cups your face. "Y/N, I would never do that. I promise you I will never do that." He whispers.

     "I love you." You say.

     He smiles and kisses your forehead. "I love you too."
[THE END] I hope you liked it!