IMAGINE: Being in a love triangle with Thorin and Bard

You walk through the war torn streets of Dale, the stench of decaying bodies nearly making you retch. You swallow past the lump in your throat. It's been a day since the Battle of the Five Armies ended. Miraculously, king Thorin and his Company all lived. The people of Lake Town—you take one whiff of the stench and then gag—weren't so lucky.

     "Y/N, hey!" You hear someone calling. You turn around and see Bard, one of your best friends, running towards you. Your heart leaps within your chest at seeing him alive. You haven't seen him since before the battle.

     "Bard!" You exclaim, running towards him. You launch into his arms. "Oh my goodness, I'm so happy to see you." You whisper with relief.

     "I'm so happy to see you too." Bard sighs. He looks at you, his arms still around your waist. "Y/N, I just want to say thank you so much for watching Sigrid, Bain, and Tilda while I was gone fighting. I knew you would protect them. They told me they felt so safe with you. So thank you. Whatever you did, Y/N, I'm so grateful for you. My children love you so much." He says, his voice cracking, his eyes boring into yours.

     You smile, your heart racing. "And I love them like they were my own." You reply honestly. Bard gets a strange look in his eyes, one you've seen multiple times when you catch him staring at you. It never ceases to set your heart racing.

     Bard and you have been friends for as long as you can remember. You watched him get married, have three beautiful children, and then devastingly lose his beautiful wife. For the past years, you stepped into a role in their family—almost a mother role. And nothing pleases you more. But for the past year, your feelings for Bard have changed. They aren't so much just friendship feelings for him...they're some more. Much more. And you believe Bard feels the same way about you, though he's never outrightly said so.

       You realize your arms are still around Bard. You blush and step out of his arms, just as a Dwarf comes running towards you.

     "Y/N!" He exclaims.

     You look and see Bofur. Your eyebrows draw. "What are you doing here?" You ask.

     "King Thorin requests your presence." He breathes. You swallow nervously.

     You helped Bard deal with the Dwarves when they were staying at his house. Thorin immediately took a liking to you. You were embarrassed at first, not liking him like that. But Thorin and you spent some time together. You went with him to reclaim Erebor. He took your mind off of Bard and you actually started to believe you were having feelings for him too. But then Thorin went a little crazy with the dragon sickness. And that was that. But you still can't rid yourself of the niggling feeling in your heart that says give Thorin another chance.

      You sigh and rub your face, so confused over your feelings for Thorin and Bard.

     "Y/N?" Bofur asks.

     You snap out of your thoughts and look at him. "What?" You say.

     "I said Thorn wants to see you. Will you come?" He asks.

     "Yes, yes, of course I'll come." You sigh.

     Bard stiffens. "Y/N, are you sure?" He questions, jealousy seeping into his tone.

     "Yeah, yeah, I'm sure." You answer. You smile at him. "I'll see you later." You say softly, before walking off towards Erebor with Bofur, feeling Bard's eyes staring at your back until you're out of sight.

---

      "Y/N." Thorin smiles at you when you enter the throne room.