Prologue

The shimmering light flickered constantly, leaving the underwater world to be dark and foreboding. The Sirens stayed far away from any source of underwater light, preferring the remote and silent locations of the water.

It was perfect for baiting.

Lone fishermen wouldn't stand a chance.

A figure was just visible in the gloom. Her hair floated around her blue face, dark seaweed green. Her golden eyes were awake and alert, darting around the empty water. An ornate coral spear was held in her hands, hands closed tensely around the shaft.

Perhaps the most odd thing about her was her fishtail. Instead of legs, a beautiful scaly green tail took form from the waist down.

Next to her, another creature floated, just as tense and alert as the girl. This creature's head resembled a horse, but a scaly horse. It shimmered like opal in the sunlight. Rather than a mane, it had a long dorsal fin, and no back legs. It's body tapered into a fishtail as well.

Suddenly, the horse's head jerked to the right. "Argon," the fish girl spoke, voice seemingly watered down.

"What is it?" The horse did not answer. Instead, the girl followed its gaze and came to look on a beautiful young man. His hair was a sandy yellow, eyes green like the water around them. His tail seemed to shimmer brighter than the horse's scales. The girl clutched her spear tighter.

But as he drew closer, his appearance changed. His skin changed to a pale purple, eyes golden and hair blue. He laughed at her, almost as though inviting her closer.

The girl beat her tail and drifted forward slightly, lowering her spear and letting it drop through the water. The scaly horse turned and swam away, as though afraid of the scene.

"Roze," he whispered, grabbing her hand and pulling her close. "I've so wanted to meet you." He smiled. His grip around her tightened. "You'd be a lovely addition to the collection."

Roze didn't seem alarmed by this at all. Instead, she looked entranced at the man, as though all her dreams were coming true. "I know," he said. "You love me. So come with me and join the collection." She nodded dazedly and he pulled her through the water, deeper and deeper until he grabbed up her own fallen spear. "Perhaps this will send a good message to King Caspian and Queen Nerida." The spear pushed its way through her torso and the man smiled sickeningly.

The Sirens had killed another mermaid.