Chapter 4

Luna Ulric

"No," I told her flatly.

"Luna," my mom gave me a stern look. "You're coming."

"No," I said again. "I'm not."

"Yes you are! No argument!"

"I'm not coming," I said for a third time.

"It's just a dinner!"

"That's not the problem," I sighed. "It's the company I'm avoiding."

"Josh isn't that bad," my mom folded her arms.

"No, he's not," I agreed. "But he's not my dad." I instantly regretted saying it when I saw the look of guilt flit across her face. "Look, mom. I'm not ready. I don't want to go to dinner with his family. I'm not ready to move on."

"I'm not asking you to move on," my mom said quietly. "I'm asking you to show up and stuff as much food in your mouth so you can't speak, if you want. Then, you can just pretend no one's there. But you are coming."

I sighed. "No," I said yet again.

"Alright," my mom threw her arms in the air and I felt triumph coarse through me. "What will make you come? You can bring Hero. Or I can let you go to Nesia and Quinn's." My stomach dropped in disappointment.

Next thing I knew, I was being bustled into the back of my mom's van with Hero and Leslie and Laila were in the middle seats. I was in a nice dress and everything, courtesy of my mom. Hero had put on a buttoned shirt for the occasion, too.

My mom had made a deal. I got to bring Hero along and then next week I'd go over the Aldin's for the rest of the summer. Which, granted, was only a week anyway, but I was looking forward to it all the same.

I just had to get through this dinner first.

This was going to be a disaster, I could already tell. Hero put a comforting hand on my shoulder when we pulled into the driveway and I couldn't help but feel he was my only ally in this.

Leslie and Laila loved Josh and, obviously, so did my mom. It was like they'd just forgotten about dad. Though, to be completely honest, I'm not sure how much they remembered of my dad.

I stepped inside Josh's house and instantly resented how welcoming it was. Why did he actually have to be a good person? It made it so hard to dislike him.

I glanced at Hero, who of course had a polite smile pinned to his face, and felt immeasurably thankful he was there. It really showed the strength of our friendship when he came to something that was obviously for family.

"Come in, come in," Josh said. "My mom's just finished making the pot roast." I felt my stomach dip. His mom was here?

My mom looked incredibly nervous and I was sure she was thinking along the same lines as I was. I took hold of Leslie and Laila's hands so they wouldn't go dashing off somewhere and followed my mom towards what I assumed to be the dining area.

A boy was already sat at the table, about my age, maybe a couple years younger. His hair was a sandy blonde color and his eyes were green. He looked as uncomfortable as I felt.

I ushered Leslie and Laila into seats and sat in between Laila and Hero. "Hi," the boy greeted us. "I'm Jonah."

"Luna," I gave him a tight smile.

"You must be Laurel's daughters, then," Jonah stated, knowing he was right. I nodded. "And son?" Hero shook his head.

"Just a close family friend," Hero answered politely.