Chapter 8

Harper Magdalena

The Arizona air would always be my favorite. The dry wind on my face, the sun setting over the canyon.

The feeling of home would never go away.

But the safety would, and I didn't feel safe anymore. Not since the night Bailey left us. My parents were hesitant to even let me go back to school this year, but I insisted.

My summer hadn't been very eventful. The most exciting thing I'd done was bring Carter to the Peach Festival. But even that had a been a strained visit. My parents had met Carter at the Peach Festival and my dad had deemed him "good enough for his daughter" and I had slapped his shoulder.

I hadn't seen Carter since Christmas, but I felt the need to tell him everything about the failed Quest and it had only been the second time I'd relived it. The first being with my parents.

I'd had nightmares all summer. Mostly about Bailey. I'm not even sure why. She'd been closest to Ari and Lark, but in my dreams Bailey would talk to me and I would listen and she would describe every way she would kill me.

It was disturbing to say the least.

I clutched the neck of my guitar to my chest and let out a heavy sigh. It was my last day in Arizona. I'd be going back to Vale tonight. This time, my dad would be taking me.

It would be his first time at Vale.

My mom wanted to take me, but she was still banned from Vale.

I watched the sun sink lower into the sky and sighed. They'd be extending a Silverport at eight tonight. I should get back home.

My cat, Gopher, was sitting on the post when I pushed through the gate, but I ignored his mewling for attention and went inside. "You got another notice from school," my mom called from the kitchen.

"What about?"

"Teachers," my dad came panting into the room and handed me a slip of paper. I put it in my back pocket. I could look at it later. "You ready to go?" I nodded, stuffing my guitar back into its case for traveling.

"So, are you excited?" my mom asked. "For the new teammates, I mean?" I knew my mom hadn't meant to be insensitive. I knew she was really trying but it didn't stop me from nearly crying from fear on the spot.

I wasn't afraid of a new year or new teammates. I was scared of my nightmares, and everyone knew that we were getting new teammates because of what Bailey had done that night. My eyes found my mothers and her face fell.

"I'm sorry. That-"

"I'm excited," I interrupted, biting back the fear. "I'm just going to miss you guys." I should be grateful for my mother. The year before, I'd had to sneak out to get to school because she didn't want me going.

She was actually letting me go, I should be grateful.

But I was only bitter. She'd done something to get herself expelled and now she'd lost a connection to her own daughter.

I turned away before she could see my disappointment. It wasn't her fault, she'd said. She couldn't have helped it.

I picked up my bags and followed my dad outside and through the Silverport.

***

After staying the night in Lochspell Inn and Restaurant, my dad and I went to find registration. He was utterly amazed by everything and I wondered how I'd looked my first day here.

I smiled when I remembered how I'd run straight into Lark. I'd met some of my first friends here. My closest friends.

"Harper!" someone screamed and I was bowled over by a girl with thick black curls and coffee brown skin.