Chapter 7

Lark Tanning

A group stood outside the door, waiting for us to leave and I was pushed to the center of them all. A boy and a girl stood shoulder to shoulder, wearing folded hats like pirates and holding long sharp sabres. A girl with dark skin and enumerable beads stood to my left. Scorpio and his hawk were in the front while Ed and Megan took up the back. Maisha, Raquel, and another woman filled in the spaces.

I felt like a high security prisoner getting escorted to jail rather than a random teenager going to a parade. What were they so afraid of?

We made slow progress down the crowded street but eventually we came to a roped off road with people lined up on the sides. I took a place against the rope railing in between Megan and Ed. "So, what are Centaurs like?" I asked her. She shot me a sideways glance.

"You'll see," she said cryptically. Ed smiled at me when I leaned over the rope to see what was coming.

It took awhile for anything to appear on the road. When I could make out what they were, I recoiled in fear. Hulking figures were walking down the road, their pallid faces long and narrow. Long pointed ears stuck up high in the air framing two curled black horns. The chest was bare and white, hard muscles packed together. Curly golden markings encircled their arms and necks. The hands ended in black talons with furry white elbows.

The torso faded into a shaggy black horse-like body. The hooves looked to be the size of my face and they stood on skinny legs, covered in a matted black pelt. The grotesque creature stopped just in front of us and drew back a hand. The crowd erupted in applause as he snapped a finger and sent a gust of wind across the spectators. "They can control different elements," Ed whispered to me and I nodded, mouth gaped. "This is also called the Parade of the Elements."

"What's the point?" I asked, as the next Centaur strode along, this time with ebony black skin and a roan colored pelt. Shiny red markings encircled its wrists.

Ed shrugged. "I always take it as a humbling point, I guess," he admitted. "A way to show that we're not- shifters, I mean- we're not the only special and magical beings. We're grossly outmatched."

"True," I said. "Very true."

"So tell me Lark," he started and I looked him in the eye. "Is it true you're a Kitsune?" My immediate answer would have been no. I'd been telling myself as much since I'd left school. If I was serious about leaving it all behind, I should act normal. But something in his blue eyes made me reconsider my answer. I knew the truth, but I couldn't bring myself to lie or tell it fully.

"I don't know," I hedged. "Aurum thinks so. And I guess it would make sense..."

"But you don't want to be," he filled in and I nodded. "I know what you mean. At least, in a sense."

"Yeah?"

"I'm a panther shifter. My mum's from Summit, in the UK. My dad's from Vale. My sister stays with my mum and I've been stationed at Summit the last couple of years. But this year's different. Mum and sister are staying at Summit and I'm going to Vale. Not sure what they need me for yet, but tomorrow we're supposed to get our in depth assignment descriptions.

"Anyways, my dad's interesting. I guess I know what you mean in not wanting to be associated with some things. Even being a Viribi Warriors has its downfalls," he admitted. "But it's probably nothing compared to what you're feeling. I am wondering though. Why do you think running from everything will fix your problems?" I straightened up at the question and glared at him.

"I'm not running from anything," I snapped. "I'm just..."

"Running," he smiled. "Trust me, I know. But I think going back is the best option."