Chapter 40

Lark Tanning

I couldn't let her get away again. Ed kept pace with me as we ran full speed into a dark cave, following the sound of Bailey's retreat.

There was a faint glow at the end of the tunnel and I skidded to a halt next to Ed, searching for Bailey. She was standing at the edge of a pool and she was armed. "All I have to do is think of where I want to go and start swimming. You won't be able to catch me," she warned.

"You're bluffing. The only way to do that is a Silverport," I called.

"What do you think this is? The Siren's call it their Silverpool," Bailey explained.

"Then why don't you go?" I pointed out. "If it's so simple, what's keeping you here?"

Bailey frowned. "I don't know," she said quietly. I glanced at Ed but he seemed just as confused. "Maybe I already know how this is going to end."

"You're going to come with me and get locked up," I said bravely but Bailey shook her head.

"Lark, things aren't going to go the way you want," she sighed.

"Bailey, if you come with us and admit to Crevan forcing you into this, you may be able to work out a deal," Ed offered and I forced myself to relax. That was far more than she deserved.

"With the Council? No deal," she spat. "They wouldn't help me."

"I'm sure some would be sympathetic at the very least," Ed continued.

"You have no idea what I am," Bailey paused. "What I've done. The Council can't forgive me for that. It doesn't matter if I was forced or if I meant it. There's no future for me where I don't die."

"What have you done?" I cut in.

"So much you could never understand," Bailey stated. "And you can judge me, but I know the day is coming when I won't be given a choice. I know my death day is coming. I intend to deserve it."

I shivered, squeezing my eyes shut. How could I have been stupid enough to believe I knew her? "What are you rambling on about?" Ed hissed, confused.

"Have you figured out the prophecy?" Bailey asked, ignoring his question. "I mean, obviously the war is the Sirens and the Mermaids. They should be arriving soon. And the foreigner was the fake Mako, which you obviously figured out. Why else would you be here? But the other two lines. The sisters and the oath. Have you figured it out?"

"You and Nadia are the sisters, aren't you?" I said quietly. Bailey nodded.

"Yes, do you know what we're choosing?" I shook my head. "Well, we'll get back to that then. The oath they swore... It's about the council-"

"Hold on," Ed interrupted. "Why should we trust you?"

"I don't know," Bailey cried. "But you have to. The Council swore to never have children."

"We know that already," I reminded her. We'd discussed this extensively as a team last year.

"But you don't understand," Bailey pleaded. "They-"

"That's quite enough," came a voice from behind me. I didn't have time to react before I saw Ed body slammed into the pool. I turned just in time to block a blow from another Siren and hear another splash. Bailey must be making her escape.

I grit my teeth and swung my katana up and over my head. I still hadn't learned my lesson. In the milliseconds it took for me to bring my blade down, the Siren tackled me to the floor and leveled its knife at my throat.

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to wiggle my wrists out from under the crushing weight of the Sirens knees. When I opened my eyes, a golden streak whipped past my view and the pressure disappeared from over me.