Chapter 44

Nesia Aldin

Worms were disgusting. I don't care how much they help "speed up the healing process", I never wanted to eat another goddamn worm.

That made my visit to the Med Tent extended. My parents both showed up immediately and were there through the whole thing. Quinn had slept in a sleeping bag on the floor every night. Luna, Hero, Cander, and Samar visited everyday during lunch.

Aurum hadn't exactly given them permission to, but she turned a blind eye. Today was the bonfire and I had been out of the Med Tent for almost three months now. Everyone still treated me like my life was bleeding out though.

Quinn set up two camping chairs beside the fire pit and I sat down next to her. The music started to play and I watched all the different teams start dancing. Quinn looked at me a smiled suggestively. "No," I told her. I didn't dance.

"Come on, Nesia," Quinn begged. I shook my head and instead focused on the pair that was setting up two more chairs next to me.

"All I'm saying is that if you keep up your bad habits, you'll end up like Hyde. Sleeping on your parents couch because no one wants to ask for your help," Luna teased. Hero rolled his eyes.

"Maybe that's what will happen to you, hard-head. I'm a Charmont, though." Hero stuck his tongue out.

"Hard-head?" Luna scoffed. "I'll show you." She bowled Hero over easily and shoved his face into the dirt. "At least my head won't squash as easily."

"What the hell does that even mean?" Hero laughed. "Stubborn ass."

"Pushover!"

"Impulsive!"

"At least I know how to have fun," Luna sneered.

"At least I know when-"

"Well, I'm glad things are back to normal between you two," I interrupted. The pair looked up and Luna let Hero up.

"I'm not sure what you mean," Luna played dumb.

I arched a brow at her. "Really, Wolfy? You were ready to tear each others throats out everyday on the Quest."

"Now your tongues are safely restored down the others throat," Quinn muttered next to me, but the two of them didn't hear her. 

"He learned from his mistakes," Luna said simply.

"He?" Hero scoffed. "I think you mean, we."

"No, I mean, he. I was right," Luna insisted. Hero scowled and shoved her.

"Yep, everything's back to normal," I sighed.

Tomorrow morning, I would be going home to my dad's house. He was officially off the hook. All charges had been dropped a few weeks ago, though with the whole scandal of Aurum stepping in where she shouldn't have, it was a bigger deal than it should have been.

I wasn't sure if I was thankful for her interference or not.

In the end, all of the bombings were said to be Ramin Labyrinth. Everyone accepted that, whether it was the truth or not. He was a terrorist and he was a known associate of Crevan now.

I glanced at Cander. "Hey." I nudged his arm and he frowned at me. "You want to be sparring partners again next year?"

I watched his cheeks flush as the fire danced in his eyes. "Yeah, that'd be great." I smiled, knowing that I'd been a jerk the past year. He needed help and I was going to give it to him. He would be a better fighter.

"Hey, Nesia!" A boy had approached, curly blonde hair giving him a nerdy yet cute look. I didn't recognize him.

"Hi?" I greeted. "Who are you?"

"A friend of Miguel's," he explained, referencing one of my teammates. "My name's Ansel."

"Oh," was all I said.

"I was wondering if you wanted to dance," he asked, color rising in his face.

My mouth opened but no noise escaped it. For the first time ever, I felt flustered. "Uh, sure..."

I stood and followed him to the other side of the fire, every thought of Cander leaving my mind.

Update 1...

Question of the Chapter: Where do you think everyone's going to end up this summer?

My Answer:...

Tomorrow's the last day of updating.