Chapter 20

I sat down angrily at the stream bed, wondering when I was going to finally get past this stage of imprisonment. I couldn't go anywhere without at least Megan or Ed, though I'd been getting better at leaving them behind. Unfortunately, whenever I hung out with Ari, Ed insisted on tagging along.

So when everyone heard that Anvi was alive and back, I let everyone run off to see her, including Megan and Ed. I needed some air and, anyways, Anvi probably wouldn't notice if I showed up later.

I watched a couple of fishermen down the stream talking merrily while another person picked trash and other odd assortments out of the water. The fishermen gladly ignored the other's presence.

"You really thought you'd slip away that easily?"

I huffed as the platinum blonde boy sat down next to me. "You were following Ari like a puppy. I figured you wouldn't care."

Ed blushed slightly. He didn't say anything for a while and I figured he'd just come because Megan told him to. "Can you do me one favor?" I asked. "Leave me alone and pretend you didn't find me?"

He smirked. "Sorry, no one would believe that?"

"Why?"

"I'm top of the line at tracking in the Viribi Warriors," Ed laughed. I didn't join him.

"Then how come you've never caught Ravenbourne?" I challenged, causing his smile to slip.

"You know," he said, "You've been a real bitch since we got here." I glared at him. "No point in sugar coating it. You've actually been a pain in the ass to everyone."

"I've told you before," I snapped. "I don't want to be here."

"That's just a straight up lie," Ed pointed out. "You're forcing yourself to act like that but really, you love it here. Everyone can tell. You just think that anything that related to Bailey should mean it's vile."

"Is it not?"

"You should listen to yourself," Ed groaned. "For about a week, you were a great person to be around and talk to. Now you're just a Scrooge. Keep it up and you'll end up as a Trasher."

"A what?"

Ed nodded in the direction of the person picking up bits from the stream. "People who can't get jobs or don't know what they want to do, serve as a Trasher until things get better for them," he explained. "Of course, it's mostly a ploy. You're pretty much stuck there for life."

"Well, whatever," I said. "Why don't you go chase after my best friend some more until you gain some- some-"

"Running out of insults, aren't you?" Ed teased. "You're not a bad person, deep down. You just need to remember that."

"That's crap," I said seriously. "If I were a good person, I wouldn't have two Warriors tailing me everywhere. That's why he wants me right? I'm illicit."

"God, is that what they told you?"

"They didn't have to."

"That's crap," Ed echoed. "You were born, same as them. And anyways, who are they to judge. You haven't done a single thing wrong. They, however..." I waited for him to continue but he didn't. "I really shouldn't say that."

"Go on," I urged him.

"Well," he chuckled. "The Kitsune race- when they weren't forbidden to breed that is- would go on killing sprees. They'd murder any Kitsune that wasn't purely conceived."

"Oh great," I muttered, smiling. "Now I can worry about them wanting to have me killed as well. What was your job again? Should I be scared you might turn on me?"