Chapter 11

Lark Tanning

The minute we landed in Vale's Inner City, Megan started firing off information. "Okay, so today's registration day. We're going to go get our keys. Besides us two, there are two more new team members on your team."

"Wait, you're apart of the team?"

"Didn't think you were that thick, Lark," Megan said sarcastically. "Yes, we're officially apart of your team now. Your two other new teammates are-"

"Lark!" someone shouted. I whipped around just in time for a short girl with blue-black hair to engulf me in a hug. For someone almost a half a foot shorter than me, Anvi could sure knock the breath out of someone.

"Anvi," I greeted her. "Good to see you too."

"I knew you'd come back," she squealed. "I just knew it!" I forced my smile to stay on my face.

"I wasn't given much choice," I told her, glancing at Megan.

"Oh," Anvi seemed to have just noticed Ed and Megan. "Hi. Agent Laune, right? And I don't know who you are, sorry."

"Edward."

"Anvi."

"You can call me Megan," the agent told Anvi. "You should get used to it."

"Er, alright, Megan," Anvi looked confused. "Arielle and Harper are waiting in the dorms. Samar and I got up super early to get through registration quickly. Luna and the twins are done too. Fun fact: Luna's future step brother is on our team."

"Oh, that's interesting," I laughed.

"Yeah, she doesn't seem to like him and I don't really either, but I guess we'll see," Anvi shrugged. "We haven't met any of the other new teammates yet though besides Jonah."

"Jonah?"

"That's Luna's step brother."

"Right."

"Well, here are two more," Megan pointed out.

"Where?" Anvi asked before her eyes widened. "You two are going to be on our team?"

Megan rolled her eyes. "Yes."

"Well, then there's just one left," Anvi counted.

"Yes, well, I'm sure when we get to the dorms, she'll be waiting," Ed commented.

Waiting through line took forever, but it was better when Harper showed up, having come from a talk with the Gardner. All three of us caught up on our summers, and I carefully avoided talking about Gyanganj just yet. I didn't want to tell the story five times over, so I was waiting until we got back to the dorms.

I saw Ryker and Chetan in front of us and waved, both of them looking shocked to see me. I was as well.

By the time I got to the dorms, Lance and the newest girl were the only ones not there yet. Arielle was in her room, when I got there and Anvi went to get her. I dropped my bags on the table and sighed. I actually felt happy to be back here. Maybe I'd known all along I'd be back, but I was relieved.

Ed went down the hall to pick out a room without saying a word. I sat next to Harper at the table. "Lark! I knew you'd come back!" Arielle ran around the table to give me a hug.

"Could that have anything to do with the fact that you're tight with Aurum?" Megan muttered and Ari glared at her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm your teammate now." Arielle reacted with poorly concealed surprise.

"Oh," was all she said. "Lark, you're rooming with me this year, I think. Harper and Anvi and then the two new girls." Arielle glanced at Megan with distaste. I smiled.