Chapter 9

Lark Tanning

"Please tell me you didn't just do that," Megan whispered to me in a daze. I glanced back at her.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"Oh my god..." she murmured.

"Look, I had a point, didn't I? You've got to admit-"

"That's not the point, Lark!" she snapped. "You just disrespected the leaders of the world on so many different levels!"

"Well, maybe you should've told me that thinking a question towards them was disrespectful," I growled bitterly. "It was your job to teach me how to not make a fool of myself."

"I was already way out of line to save your neck," Megan pointed out. "Qenna's going to kill me when she finds out what I did."

"It'll be fine, I'm sure," Ed reassured her but Megan didn't look worried at all.

"Anyways, you got what you wanted," I told her. "I'm going back to Vale. And it seems I'll be seeing a lot of you and Ed." I smiled in his direction and he grinned back. Megan glared at me.

"Can I have a word, Lark?" Megan hissed and I followed her away from the group of Warriors. "Please tell me you didn't choose Vale because Ed's going to be there because, I swear to God, if you did, I'll personally skewer you with Maisha's unicorn horn."

"So what if I did?" I snapped and she rubbed her face in exasperation.

"I told you not to get attached!" she reminded me.

"I remember you saying that was the way of a Viribi Warrior. Not to get attached, to die at a moment's notice," I countered. "And besides, I'm not attached. He told me to choose Vale and I trusted him."

Megan looked extremely angry. "I can't believe you right now," she sighed. "I knew you were annoying but this is unbearable."

"Get used to it if you're tailing me," I grumbled.

"I can't believe I got stuck with a babysitting job," Megan mumbled angrily.

"Yeah me neither," I snapped. "I don't need you guys to watch me."

"Yes you do," Megan sighed. "You're reckless."

"I am not!"

"Are you two coming or not?" Ed yelled from up ahead.

"Do anything you can to not get attached to him," Megan hissed to me and I groaned.

"Why?"

"He can get obsessed with some things," Megan admitted. "He has a problem with his obsession."

"Obsession with what?" I asked.

"Ravenbourne."

***

That night I accompanied Megan to the dining hall for dinner. All their food was rather bland but at least it was something. I scooped out some brown rice and plopped it onto my faded tray. I sat in between Megan and Raquel while Ed sat across from me with Scorpio.

How could Megan ever think I'd be able to just forget about my time here?

I vaguely regretted my decision to go to Vale after seeing Gyanganj. It was all so new and interesting that I couldn't help but want to stay.

But Vale had Arielle and my team. As much as I didn't want to return there, I knew that I had to eventually.

I looked up at the sound of a tray clattering to the floor. An extremely tall girl with rough brown hair and nearly black eyes stood over the tray with a look of glee on her face. She had red face paint smeared across her eyelids and white painted dots underneath her lashes and her pointed ears poked out past the thick braids in her hair. Her fat brown lips sneered at the boy who'd fallen with his tray. A rather larger section of braided hair was wound up with beige cloth and stained with what looked like the boy's food.