Chapter 26

Lark Tanning

A week out from final exams for the semester and I was even crankier than before. Arielle still wasn't talking to me and neither were Anvi or Harper. Anvi was just starting to warm up to everyone again but she generally sat with Arielle and away from me. Harper just decided to ignore the tension and go with the majority.

Megan and Edward didn't feel like body guards anymore. They were my only friends. Even Ryker and Chetan stayed away. Ryker had not taken a liking to Edward, probably because they were both crushing on Ari. It didn't help that Edward also knew Lance from a long time ago, so there was some kind of man war going on.

Lance however, was totally cool with both sides, but I didn't like being near him, so he too stayed away. Lisa, well, she just wasn't seen most of the time and the same went for Jonah.

Some team we were.

I'd barely thought about our Quest until Luna had mentioned something just a few weeks ago. Now, my mind had been consumed by it.

My dreams of late had been solely based around Bailey and try as I might to ignore it, I knew that she was what our Quest was destined to be focused around. If we showed interest at the very least, it would be in the bag for this year.

I wanted to go about this right, get it out in the open quickly, like ripping off a bandage. Who knew you could actually schedule a meeting with Professor Aurum rather than just showing up and barging in?

"Hello Lark," she greeted. "What did you want to discuss?"

I held back from pointing out she probably knew. "Our Quest this year. I was wondering if we could talk about it."

Aurum looked like she aged twenty years in just five seconds. "Of course," she said after a moment.

"I want to find Bailey-"

"Let me stop you right there," Aurum interrupted. "Most of the Quests are already distributed."

"But you can switch them around," I pointed out. "Nothing's decided until Assignment Day, right?"

Aurum sat silently.

"Look, maybe it could be to figure out Crevan's next move."

"Lark, you're too personally involved for this to be a good idea," Aurum said sadly. "And we already suspect what his next move is."

"Well, it's better to be safe than sorry, right?" I pointed out desperately. "It can't hurt to double check. Maybe we could even just be the team that is a counter force to whatever he has planned."

"Lark, I've already assigned this Quest to another team," Aurum said gently. "You and your team are too fractured and inexperienced for this. The only reason you got such a hard Quest last year is because Arielle was on your team. It was easier to send her than watch as she split off from you guys to find Asteria herself."

"But..." I struggled for a counter. "We know him. We know how he works. It would be safer to send us in-"

"You aren't soldiers!" Aurum snapped. "You're not getting this Quest." I sat back in my chair and Aurum softened. "You think you understand Crevan, Lark... you don't."

"And you do?" I muttered.

"Unfortunately."

"Well, then, what is our Quest?" I demanded. 

"You'll find out soon enough," she replied calmly. "But it will not be to the scale it was taken to last year."

"So, because we failed, you're benching us," I growled.

"Lark-"

"Thank you for your time, Professor," I hissed. "I should be going."

Reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyy short chapter this week. Sorry, guys.

However, I believe next week's is extra long. 

Question of the Chapter: What do you think their Quest will be?

See you next week!!!