Chapter 38

Lance Taylor

I didn't dare leave Quinn's side. Her attraction was so strong that all the Sirens we faced together turned into a stunning Anvi. I didn't want to break away and find out what I was attracted to. That was not the kind of thing I needed to contemplate at this point.

However, it didn't matter when Lark and Ed chased after Bailey, a few Sirens following the three of them. The numbers of Sirens had grown to greatly outnumber us and the remaining few of us had formed a tight circle with our enemies surrounding us.

In a way, I almost hoped that Arielle and the others didn't stop the Mermaids because we certainly needed the backup. Maybe if they could just save us and then swim home, the war could be avoided.

I ended up shoulder to shoulder with the real Anvi. "Hello," I said cheerfully as I blocked a spear from splitting my ribcage. She didn't react, simply darting forward to slash the side of another Siren. "So, you might want to prepare yourself."

"For what?" she panted.

"If the Mermaids or someone doesn't show up fast, we're probably going to die," I said conversationally. Anvi didn't look scared. She probably didn't have time for that right now.

"I can't believe I'm going to die with you Lance," she finally muttered.

"Yeah, me too," I laughed.

"I'm gonna be honest, Lance," Anvi huffed. "I feel like you don't like me."

"I've told you multiple times that I don't," I reminded her.

Anvi kicked a Siren away. "Yeah true," she admitted. "But I never believed it." Just then, she smiled at me like we were really friends and I realized, I hadn't even been paying attention to the forms of the Sirens for quite some time.

A Siren leapt forward, away from who he was currently fighting, and charged Anvi. I lunged out of the circle our group had formed and quickly cut through its chest. I turned around glaring. "God, I hate you."

"You just saved my life!" Anvi yelled.

I blanked. "Yeah, well, finding someone else to hate is too much work."

"What about Jonah?"

"See, this is what I don't like about you," I teased, though I tried to sound serious. "Nitpicking."

"Stop flirting!" I twisted my head at breakneck speed and I saw what I'd been hoping for all this time.

"Jonah?" Anvi cried. "You came!"

Jonah didn't answer, instead leaping on a few Sirens and engaging them in a dangerous battle. A sword I'd never seen before gleamed in his hand. Deep notches ran down one side of it and when the first Siren swung its blade, Jonah caught it in one of the notches and, with a quick twist, the Siren's blade broke. "I wasn't about to let the lot of you die," he hissed.

With a surge of energy, I threw off the next few attackers with quick slices. "Oh my god," I sighed, almost laughing at our stupidity.

"What?"

"We're not playing to our strengths, guys!" I yelled vaguely. I sheathed my sword and leapt on the third Siren with Jonah, shifting into a lion as I went.

Tearing through the lines of Sirens, I let out a ferocious roar that echoed on the rocky island. I felt a flood of pride sweep through me at the sight of fear in the Sirens' eyes. They started to back away slowly and, arrogantly, I thought it was because of me.

"Lance!" Anvi pointed to the water and what I saw amazed me. Hundreds of coral armored figures rose from the water, stumbling on their legs, and toppling the Sirens' defenses. Unfortunately, it seemed the Mermaids didn't recognize that we were on their side.

Anvi dodged a spear thrust from a Mermaid and I ran towards her, nudging her side to get her to climb on my back. "Good idea," she praised, scrambling into a seat just behind my shoulders.

Her chakrams unfolded into a rapier and she slashed the Sirens from where she sat. Jonah fought off three Sirens at a time, stabbing and breaking their weapons faster than I could comprehend.

I skidded to a halt next to him and Anvi lunged forward, somersaulting through the air and stabbing a Siren in front of me. Jonah rolled over my back and blocked the blade of another. I snarled and brought a huge paw down on two more. 

The three of us worked seamlessly together and soon the Sirens had fallen back away from us. The Mermaids advanced towards us, attacking even though we had just shown who we were fighting.

Quinn gave a battle cry and used my shoulders as a springboard, jumping high over the Mermaids' heads and raining down on them with her red scythe wreaking havoc. 

A horn sounded and the Mermaids all paused in fighting, turning to see a barnacled figure rise from the water on legs.

Update 2...

Question of the Chapter: What do you think everyone's Sirens are?

My Answer: ...