Chapter 15

Anvi Patel

"We should follow him."

I wanted to say no. We would be breaking the rules. But Bailey had left me wary of everything and seeing a teammate blatantly ignore the curfew was like a red alert in my head.

Lance and I both knew that following Jonah was a direct result of our fractured trust in each other.

So, I nodded and followed him outside.

In the few moments of time that had lapsed, Jonah had already crossed the circle of dorms and disappeared behind the gates.

My eyes flicked to Lance, who didn't spare me a glance before walking in the same direction. Pressing my lips together and taking in a breath, I followed.

Jonah seemed extremely self conscious, snapping his head back and forth at the smallest of sounds. I hid behind a large tree and shifted into my cat form.

It was much easier to travel silently as an animal. Lance followed suit.

Leaves littered the ground, but I tried my best to keep from crunching on behind Jonah. It seemed he just thought he was making the noise. Few buildings were still illuminated. The tavern was booming with sound, as expected, but I was surprised to see the light peeping under the door of the Med Tent.

The last time I'd been in there was right after our quest. I'd blacked out and suddenly I was back here. Ari said that the Foxfire Council had put us all to sleep and brought us back with a Silverport.

It was kind of disturbing.

Lance seemed curious too and I wondered briefly if someone had been hurt badly, but Jonah disappeared behind another corner, and we plunged on.

It took a while for me to realize that we were taking a direct path to the Water Sector. My legs quivered slightly and Lance's golden form stopped short. His fierce eyes swung to me, staring at me intensely.

I could tell what he was saying loud and clear. What an idiot.

Well, I couldn't help it. He'd see soon enough.

And there it was- the wide expanse of black water, glittering with tiny lights, as though it were a net for stars.

Jonah was heading straight for it and I just couldn't force myself to continue. I shifted back and looked at Lance, shaking my head.

"What?" he whispered angrily.

"I- I can't," I murmured, voice shaking. I felt like my heart was going to explode in fear.

Lance's shoulders slumped. "Don't tell me you're afraid of water..."

"What do you expect after someone's almost murdered by a demonic water horse?"

"I was too, and I'm not frozen," Lance pointed out.

"Shut up," I muttered.

"Look, it's just water," Lance said reasonably. "There aren't any kelpies in here."

"Like I'd trust you," I snapped. Lance fumed and stomped a foot.

"You know what, you're such a brat, sometimes-"

"Did you two follow me?"

We both froze. I winced at Jonah's harsh glare. "I can't believe you two. Quarreling like two squirrels going through a tough divorce and still not expecting to get caught."

"What are you doing?" Lance asked, ignoring the accusations.

Jonah arched his brow. "You think I'm going to tell you?"