Chapter 19

I scribbled away at my homework, trying my best to ignore the lump of asinine flesh beside me. It really wasn't working. "I think I'm gonna go."

"You can't," I hissed. "We've got to stay until dinner."

Jonah rolled his eyes. "Lance, you realize that Professor Huxley left half an hour ago to go to the bathroom, right? He's not coming back at this point so we can just leave."

He was right of course and normally I would have left, but I'd be damned if I ever agreed with a thing he said. "You can go if you want. It'll save me from having to be near you and if you get in trouble, then you can serve more detention and that's always a win for me."

Jonah rolled his eyes. "Do you seriously hate me or is it just because your girlfriend got a detention?"

I straightened my back and looked at the ceiling to calm myself down. "She's not my girlfriend and yes, I seriously hate you."

"Well, that's why you're not upset that she's gone then," Jonah muttered.

I narrowed my eyes. "What do you mean?"

"You obviously don't care about her being missing, right? If you're not dating and all. You must actually hate her right? Wish she was dead?" Jonah prodded, eyes gleaming.

"I do not wish she was dead," I said sharply, wincing.

"Girlfriend then."

"Those aren't the only two options you know," I pointed out huffily. "I can hate you both and not wish you dead. The two things have nothing to do with each other."

"True, but I suppose it doesn't matter in the long run. She's probably dead anyways, right?" Jonah sighed.

I sucked in a harsh breath. "What?"

"Just looking at the facts. That Crevan guy you guys tangled with last year. Didn't he kidnap, rape and kill a girl last year? Probably did it again, right?"

"You keep asking these questions like I'm supposed to confirm it," I snapped.

"Well, you're definitely not denying it," Jonah pointed out. I scowled at him.

"Just leave me alone, why don't you?"

"Why do you care so much if you don't like her?" Jonah asked. "I mean, what is it you call her? Insignificant or something? Must be offensive around here considering..."

"I don't want her to be dead," I muttered.

"What was that?" Jonah mocked. "Did you just say something nice about her? Jeez, you might actually like her more than you let on."

I just ignored him and continued with my homework. "It's probably good that she's dead though. You won't have to struggle with the fact that you like scum."

Jonah fell backward as I surged upwards. "What did you just say?" He took a step back.

"Good she's dead so you parents don't realize that you scr-"

My fist connected with Jonah's jaw, leaving a red mark. My knuckles throbbed. That was a bad idea. Jonah's eyes were mocking me, and it didn't change as his face morphed from human to grotesque.

Rounded furry ears were the first thing that noticeably changed about Jonah. I started to shift with him and faced the dark eyes of Jonah's animal form.

He was a hyena, perfectly fitting his nagging personality. I growled and launched myself at him, vaguely remembering a time last year when I'd attacked Arielle.

Jonah opened his wide mouth to reveal long, sharp, yellow teeth. Even now he seemed like he was smiling. Before I could even blink, he dashed forward and closed his teeth into my shoulder. He pulled back as I roared in pain, tearing flesh.