47

Harry’s Point Of View

“What?”

Ryan looks between Ella and I and lets out a heavy sigh.

“I knew your name sounded familiar Ella,” he shakes his head, “and when you said his name was Jack you should have felt my heart speed up.”

“You’re saying you can’t help us?” I snapped.

He shook his head, “Jack already offered my pay and everything.”

“More, I’ll pay you more Ryan!” I said almost desperately. Ella grabbed my hand and gave me a look of comfort, but I wasn’t having it.

“Harry… I’m so so sorry but I can’t. I can’t just let go of a client.”

“Why the hell not Ryan? I’m your fucking cousin okay! I need you, Ella needs you!”

“I know that Haz! And there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you but I already took him on as a client and unless he fires me I can’t represent both him and Ella. In fact Ella needs a lawyer that Jack doesn’t even know and he seemed to know exactly who I was.”

I chewed my cheek; I was beyond pissed. That asshole took money from me saying that he wouldn’t release the pictures from the hospital, but he would also make this easier on Ella. But if she finds out I paid him, she will freak out so now what can I do?

“Is there anyone else you know who can represent me?” Ella asks nervously.

“There is,” he sighs, “but this is going to complicate things. Because now I know you, and I know you’re with Harry and I have to fight this divorce against you.”

Ella looks down and I get an idea.

He needs to fire you right?”

Ryan nods, “yeah.”

“And what would the grounds be on him firing you?” I ask feeling the wheels in my mind turning.

“Well I mean, if my qualifications don’t stack up to what I’m supposed to be, and if he feels I’m not doing a satisfying enough job I suppose he would terminate our contract and find another lawyer.”

I feel the grin emerge on my face, “and then you would be able to represent Ella right?”

“I.. Yeah I guess that’s correct,” he says leaning forwards, “what are you saying Harry?”

“I’m saying…Why not be a terrible lawyer and we can wait out having Ella and Jack meet until he’s fired you, and you’re representing Ella.”

Ella’s head shoots up, “No no Ryan I can’t ask you to do that; I can’t ask you to lose a client just because he’s my husband.”

The word makes me cringe but I ignore it. Ryan looks at me with more thoughts brewing in his mind.

“You have a point Harry, if I was a terrible lawyer there would be no way he would keep me.”

“But won’t it go on a record or something that he terminated his contract with you?” Ella asks.

Ryan’s smile fades, “yeah. It shows on a record and the more strikes you have the less people want to hire you.

Shit, I didn’t even think of that.