32. the move

June 1

Harry's POV

"Thanks so much for helping us move Louis' stuff," I tell Liam as he grabs the opposite end of the dresser and helps me carry it up the steps.

"No problem, mate," Liam says. "Glad to help."

Once we reach the bedroom, we place the dresser on the ground crookedly. "I'll fix it later," I mutter, heading into the living room.

"Niall, how are you holding up?" I ask worriedly. Niall is sitting on the couch with James, who is fast asleep on his chest as he watches a golf game.

"Good. My guy just got a hole in one!" Niall chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "Good thing he's sleeping. Can't have him watching that kind of garbage!"

"Hey!" Niall says, laughing. "You're garbage."

Liam is already making his way back outside, so I follow after him and head to the moving van. Louis is currently trying to carry about seven boxes at once, and is on the verge of dropping one.

"Babe, are you trying to empty the whole truck in one go?" I tease, taking two of the boxes from him.

"Shut up," Louis replies, laughing as he takes off with his lightened load of boxes. "I'm Superman basically."

"I guess that makes me Lois Lane," I reply, batting my eyelashes.

Liam giggles and shakes his head at us. "You guys are so cute together!"

"Ah, thanks," I reply, grabbing another box. "How are you and Andres doing? Things going well, yeah?"

"Yeah, pretty well," Liam says as he grabs a plastic container of clothes.

"You don't look super thrilled though, Li," I reply.

"I mean, he's great. He really is. He's just too normal sometimes. He doesn't have any quirks and doesn't like being silly," Liam admits as we head back inside. "Like - I don't know, with Zayn I could just be my goofball self."

"Mmm... yeah, I can see how that could put a damper on things. But don't compare him to Z. You guys were together for a while. You and Andres are still just getting to know each other. I'm sure he'll open up to you soon. He probably has a goofy side as well," I tell him.

I'm saying it like I know what I'm talking about, but in reality I'm the last person who should be giving relationship advice. My relationship with Eliza had been nothing less than toxic, and the way Louis and I ended up together was - well - unconventional to say the least.

"I mean, I don't know Harry. I suppose you're right. I'm just not even sure if I should be in a relationship, I'm still torn up from Z," Liam says. His voice is raspier than usual and his amber eyes look dark with pain.

"Hey, Li. Listen, I know what you're going through because Eliza and I split not too long ago and that was torture. But she was toxic - awful to me. I just couldn't see it at the time. Zayn was the same way, lying, manipulating, cheating. I know you miss him, but you are so much better off without him. Trust me," I say, putting my hand on his shoulder. "And you're so strong for walking away, truly."

Liam nods, though Harry can spot wetness forming in his eyes. "Thanks, mate. That's really sweet. Thank you."

"No problem, lad," I reply, patting him on the back as he hugs me.

"It's like - I just want what you and Louis have. It seems so - I don't know so perfect," Liam says. We're on the steps now, setting down our boxes. Packing can wait. This conversation is much more important.