42. court

a/n: Hey everyone! First off, I just want to thank you all so, so, so much for reading my story. I don't think I've ever written a story this long or this high difficulty level before, and I want to thank you for being patient and sticking with me. I hope you are all enjoying it.

Sadly, the story will be coming to an end soon. I have a few loose ends to tie up, so it'll probably take a couple more chapters, but the end is near. I'm so sad!

On a more positive note, I was bored the other day  and I tried to make a little cartoony version of the cover of this story. It is not very good - I'm no artist - but I thought I would share it with you all.

 It is not very good - I'm no artist - but I thought I would share it with you all

Okay and so now the chapter begins:

Harry's POV

October 12

Today I have to go to court. I'm going to have to defend my rights for full custody... again. This is third time. The third fucking time, all thanks to Eliza.

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm not even mad at Eliza anymore. I don't have the energy to be mad at her anymore. I'm just tired.

I'm tired of constantly having to prove I'm a good dad. I'm tired of sobbing into my pillow every time I remember that Louis used to lie there next to me. I'm tired of having to physically restrain myself from cutting. I'm tired of not being able to see my friends most days because they're with Louis.

I'm tired of all of it, but what I'm most tired of is the pain. The pain of knowing I'll never see him again. That he never wants to be around me again.

Because when he walked away, that was it. He quit his job, detached from me, and never looked back. There was no, "goodbye." No, "maybe one day we can work things out."

There was nothing but silence. A dark, crippling silence that I still haven't been able to get out of my soul.

As I adjust my collar in the mirror, I sigh just thinking about the fact that I have to testify again. And about Louis of all fucking things.

I never thought Eliza would stoop this low. But I shouldn't underestimate her. She can always go lower.

"Harry, let's go!" Niall call from the hallway. He was coming with me, as support.

That's how weak I am now. I can't even face her alone anymore.

"Coming," I say, heading into the hallway.

We exit the apartment and I lock up, leading Niall to my car.

"It's a bit chilly," Niall says, shuddering as he climbs into the passenger seat.

"Yeah, kinda," I reply, dully. I'm not focused on the weather right now. All I'm really thinking about is how the fuck I'm going to make it to this court case without driving my car off a bridge.