~Adjusting~

*Play Song*

*A few months later*

For the first quarter of my life, my world was generally quite bland.

Well, aside from my father disappearing, my mother dying of depression, and a grandfather who died of old age, and loads of monster raids and raider attacks which I did not take place in.

But everything got substantially crazier the minute I married the Ultima werewolf.

It's been months since the wedding and the last raiders attack and our vaults were close to thriving.

With the alliance strong, our dwellers feel safer to roam further and further into the wasteland, without the stress or impending doom of war.

We can send more and more explorers out into the wasteland each day.

I've made many friends from Aaron's Vault, including three adorable werewolves named Dottie, Rylan, and Daniel.

Just between you and me, Daniel is my personal favorite.

I also befriended Melissa, Aaron's beloved sister, who I was currently talking with within one of the vault's many lounges, sitting in the V.I.P area with a martini in hand. Melissa with a generously filled glass of dry red.

We were waiting for members from the Lycan Vault, including Aaron's father, to arrive to discuss further the alliance because, ironically, political werewolves love to talk everything to death.

The dimly lighted ambiance of the lounge radiated bad behavior, but that, and the mediocre crowdedness actually made the place homier.

"...so then Aaron took..." Melissa stifles a laugh. "...my mother's pink lipstick...and went to town." We both knew we could stifle our giggles no more as we bursted out laughing.

After eventually recovering the ability to breathe, Melissa's face suddenly sours. "Aphmau...there is something I need to talk to you about."

"Okay?"

"Everything been's going well with Aaron, right? Your time togther...the talking...the sex."

"MeLiSsA." My voice cracks as I urged her to lower her voice, heat seeping up my neck.

"Well...is it?"

I hesitated...just a for a second, and of course, she picked up on it.

Damn inhuman senses.

"It's the sex, isn't it?" Melissa asked confidently, setting her glass down in a manner that I knew I was not gonna like what she said next.

"See, Aphmau...though many people approve and accept an interspecies marriage such as yours—also since they are legally supposed to...there are some...that still follow an olden days mindset."

I furrow my brow, but I let her finish.

She lowered her voice. "There may be some werewolves from my vault that believe if you and Aaron were to...conceive... an heir." More blushing. "The child will be...corrupt—um how to word this...not purebred Ultima."

All I could muster is a slight gasp.

"There is also...a more significant chance of problems with the fetus and miscarriage." At the mention of the word, I flinched, my heart sinking in my chest.

Of course, Melissa noticed this, her ears drooping. "What's wrong?"

I try to muster a smile and stuff it all deep inside, but a singular tear makes its way to the surface...just one damn tear.

"Aphmau..." Melissa asks quietly, gently. "Did you miscarry?"

I set my drink down, tears stinging my eyes. "Don't tell Aaron."

*

"I thought it was my fault. That maybe I wasn't strong enough to carry an Ultima or something...and that he—or one of you would..."

Melissa rested her hand atop mine, squeezing once. "Darling, Aaron would never hurt you for something you can't control. It's expected. How long has this been on your mind?"

"Two months." I try to swallow the lump lodged in my throat but it doesn't budge. "I was scared to tell anyone, Melissa. I was scared the alliance might not pull through..." I wipe my face of the tears, noticing texts from my phone saying the politicians were starting to arrive.

"Oh, Aphmau—"

"Is this it, Melissa? Will I not be able to have his heir—will the alliance not pull through because I'm human?" I sniffle, biting my lip.

"There is...one thing...you can do." Melissa reluctantly manages out, cringing as she said it.

Hope—stupid hope starts to hug my heart. "Anything, Melissa. Anything. Just name it."

"It's incredibly painful, Aphmau. Some die during the process from the...pain." Melissa's face scrunches up in worry. "But...it will ensure greater chances for the baby and it will make it purebred. It will also keep you safe from any random outbursts of the Ultima form."

This sounded too good to be true, besides the pain part that made my heart sink even lower, but it will be worth it. I'm probably dead with or without this procedure.

"Okay, I'll do it. Is it like surgery or..."

"No...um, you won't be sedated and um—you know what an Ultima can do, right?" Melissa inquires, in a tone that suspiciously sounded like it was about to drop bad news again.

That's when it hit me. A rush of overwhelming panic which made me fall back into the sofa's cushions.

It would have to be Aaron. He would change me into a werewolf.

Have a nice day my crystals!