~A Goddess's Failure~

*Play Song*

"Get the troops up, we move out in 30 minutes." Aaron alerts Laurence, Laurence nodding as he went about his task.

Aphmau shudders in her husband's jacket as she asks. "What form are we taking on the way home?"

Aaron doesn't answer, just sending her a slight smile.

Aphmau sends back a nervous one. "We aren't going home, are we?"

"We came all this way.....no shame in at least checking it out."

Aphmau stands on her tiptoes to kiss his adorable cheek. "I love you..."

"I know..."

*

The trip to the portal wasn't long and considering the pack of wolves was so large in proportion, monsters weren't a problem.

Aphmau couldn't really put much weight on the wound on her leg, so she had resorted to Aaron's suggestion of resting on his wolf back, her lavender contrasting against his black fur.

The daylight wasn't as flattering to the wasteland as it was in the dark, the dusty, dry patches of grass across the desert-like wilderness giving off a serious abandoned look.

Asphalt roads that haven't deteriorated completely yet were of no use to any vehicles or even people that needed them to travel.

Laurence barks back to Aaron, alerting him they've found it.

The portal was a vertical oval of pristine white quartz, the nicest thing for miles to come.

Aaron knelt down just enough so Aphmau could slide off him. Transforming back into a human as she approached the portal.

She brought her fingertips to the quartz, tracing the endless patterns as if at any moment it would trigger a memory.

"Does she know what she's doing?" Laurence whispers.

"She'll know.....just wait..." Aaron assures.

She does this to both sides, before taking a step back, her mind starting to swell with sudden knowledge.

You know what the key is...

Excuse me? Who is this? Aphmau thought.

All you have to do now is use it...

As if it were instinct, Aphmau thrusts her arms forward, white light surging from her palms into the empty space between the pillars, the second it reaches there, it explodes with more light, many of the pack turning away as the entire portal filled with pearl white energy.

Aphmau holds this stance, but it doesn't look like for long. Aaron notices the color drain from her face as she tries to hold the portal.

And for some odd reason, she starts walking towards it.

"Aphmau....what are you doing...." Aaron just seconds later answering his own question.

Just as she reaches the portal the light goes out, Aphmau falling forward from resistance, catching herself last minute.

The portal itself cracked a bit, a good-sized dent running down the left side of the oval.

Aaron helps her up, concerned about the paleness in her skin. "What was that..."

Aphmau blinks wildly, trying to steady her breathing, looking longingly at the now empty portal. "....It was a failure...."

Have a nice day my crystals!