Chapter 24: She Deserves Better

(Reader's POV)

                      At 5 a

At 5 a.m., the Avengers team suited up for their mission. Tony, Bruce, and Clint went to California while Natasha and Steve went to Florida. Tony hated to leave Violet once again, especially since he had missed her birthday—It's bad enough when he missed Pepper's birthday—but he knew that Violet was hurt. She went to bed early that evening after found out he or the team weren't going to stay for a couple days. Tony feels wrecked with guilt. He thinks about ways to make it up to her, to make her forgive him. But deep down he knows it won't fully heal the wound.
                      "Pepper, what should I get Violet for her birthday?" Tony wipes his brow, "I need something that will make her forgive me for forgetting it."
                     "She could do what I do, take the money you give her and buy something she actually wants and say you bought her something." Pepper says through the phone, "Tony, Violet will probably tell you what she wants when you get back. Give her sometime to think about it."
                   "Pepper, I know she's 21 now and she's not a little kid—" Tony sighs, "but I feel like I'm screwing her up. I'm a bad father."
                   "Tony, you are not a bad father. You just have a complicated job and it gets in the way with your personal life. Violet understands that and understands why you had to leave." Pepper explains.
                   "I just don't want to end up losing her again, Pepper. She's my only kid and I want great things for her." Tony says, "Violet deserves better cards than what's she's been dealt."

                         Natasha leans back in her seat, knowing that it was going to be a long ride there. Steve sits beside her, holding a photo booth pictures of Violet in his hands. They had taken it on their first date. His and her first date ever, and it was at Coney Island. The first time he went since he and Bucky has went when they were kids. He remembers Bucky making him go even though he didn't want to, and Steve ended up throwing up. Lucky for Steve, Violet only wanted to swim for the majority of the day and then ride the Farris Wheel. The super solider still remembers seeing his love in a bikini for the first time. It made him blush and protective over Violet. Steve also remembers that Tony and the rest of the Avengers crashed their date. The whole group spent the entire day together. Steve remembers how badly he wanted them all to leave so the date could last. It was perfect until them.
                     "How was Violet when you went to bed?" Natasha's words bring Steve back to reality, seeing he was staring at the photos too long. "She didn't seem like herself last night."
                      "She's been through a lot in the past few days." Steve sighs, placing the photo in his pocket.
                        "We all have." Natasha says in a small voice.
                       Steve smiles at the red headed agent. He's never seen Natasha act so fondly of Violet before, never. Maybe with words but never her expression. She looks up at him, a confused look on her face.
                        "What the hell is wrong with your face, Rogers? I've never seen you make that face before." Natasha says agitated.
                         Steve sighs, Natasha is trying to cover it up. He looks down at the floor, knowing it is best not to try and push Natasha. She is one of his coworkers. Steve wonders what to give Violet for her birthday. She's so picky and frustrating, she never tells anyone what she really wants until they have to hold her down and make her. Steve can't help but smirk at the thought.