Chapter 32: Hydra's Doing

(Violet's POV)

                       When I woke up this morning, I could feel that something was different

When I woke up this morning, I could feel that something was different. My stomach felt tight and my back was aching. My stomach was bigger too. I had a hard time catching my breath as I walked to my room. I changed into a pair of sweatpants and one of Steve's shirts. Everything I have is too small. Damn, I was small. As we start to walk down to breakfast, Jarvis's voice echoes throughout my room.
"Miss Stark, Dr. Cho wants to see you right away. She says that it is urgent." Jarvis says, making me worried.
"Tell Dr. Cho I'll be right there."

We all stand in the lab, I sit on the metal table once again. Steve wasn't there when I woke up this morning, and he hasn't shown up yet. Tony is fidgeting in his seat, as is Bruce and Clint. Natasha casually drinks a Starbucks drink. Pepper gives me a small smile, I give her one in return. Happy checks his watch.
"Dr. Cho, I hate to rush you, but what is it that you've asked all of us here to see you?" Happy says impatiently.
Dr. Cho walks over to me, a worried look in her eyes.
"We are waiting on Captain Rogers and a man with information." Dr. Cho lays me down and puts the warm jelly on my stomach, she watches the screen. "Oh, my god."
"What?" I say concerned.
Bruce stands up and walks over to her. "What is it, Helen?"
"This is impossible." She softly, her big eyes like an eclipsed moon.
Bruce looks at her screen, squinting his eyes.
"Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?" I snap, making everyone gasp, "What's wrong?"
"Your baby grew..." I look at Bruce confused, for answers.
"He grew?" I say confused, "What does that—"
"When did you start having weird symptoms? You said that you started feeling weird at some point—when did things start feeling weird?" Dr. Cho says concerned, scaring me.
"20 days ago, why?" I say confused.
"Your baby was the size of a 19 week old." She says, making my heart pound harder. "Yesterday it looked like a 19 week old and overnight, it grew to be a 22 weeks old baby."
I look over see that Tony had walked over and is now standing beside me.
"So, doctor, what are you saying?" Tony says worriedly.
"I need to see the blood test I sent to SHIELD. Captain Rogers was supposed to—" Suddenly, the elevator doors open.
I look over to see Steve walking out of the elevator in his suit. I can see that he holds some papers in his hands. He walks over to where we're at, Steve looks between me and the others.
"Steve—" I get cut off.
"What did you find about St. John's Hospital?" Natasha crosses her arms.
"The hospital is an institution, run by Hydra." The mentioning of the word Hydra makes me cringe, Steve fought the man who was head of Hydra back in WWI. "SHIELD sent in a team to investigate the premises, found several of their failed experiments dead. They found several serums they tested on the dead participants. They believe that Violet is another one of their lab rats."
Fear fills me, leaving me shivering. I'm an experiment? Hydra's experiment? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! I look at Steve, whose face is grim and stone like. Dr. Cho walks around the metal table and motions at the paper work.
"Do you have Violet's blood work?" She says urgently.
"Yeah, here they are." Steve hands her the papers, she reads it quickly.
"Oh, my god. It all makes sense now." She says to herself in shock.
My anger gets ahead of me. "What? Spit it out!"
"Violet!" Tony hisses at me.
Dr. Cho walks back around the metal table.
"Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on?" I say annoyed.
"Violet," Dr. Cho says "You have a condition called: Regenerative Healing Factor."
Confused, I give her a look. "A what what?"
"Regenerative Healing Factor." Bruce answer for Dr. Cho, "It means your cells can heal whatever wound or damage done to your body 7x as fast as a normal human. Wade Wilson and Logan have this ability. It also extends your lifespan."
                          "Let's get this straight, shall we? I'm an experiment for Hydra?" I say slightly freaking out, "They test anyone who shows up at their hospital and I'm the only one living out of their experimental lab rats?"
                           Bruce and Dr. Cho both nod their heads at me, half impressed by my words. "Sort of like that."
                           "So, what does that have to do with my baby?" I put a hand on my stomach, protecting him.
"I have a theory, and it may not even be a theory at all." Dr. Cho says, Steve comes closer. "You told me that you started having weird symptoms 20 days ago. Yesterday, your baby was the side of a 19 week old fetus."
"Okay..." I say confused, "Still not getting the picture here!"
Bruce nods his head. "I know what your getting at, Doctor. What Dr. Cho is trying to say is that because of your ability, Violet, it's effecting your baby."
                           My body tenses up. I suddenly begin to fear for my child and his life.
"Your baby was already growing at a fast rate, now, I do believe, your baby is now growing at a more rapid rate." Dr. Cho says, blowing my mind. "3x as fast as it was before."
Could it be possible? Am I dreaming? Is my baby going to be okay? Am I going to survive? I look to Steve, whose keeping a distance from me. Tears splash down my cheeks as I wish this were all a terrible nightmare. Maybe I'll wake up screaming again, Steve there to shush me as I calm down from my darkness.