Writing Prompt #9

Summary: You're talking with Jimmy before a show.

"Let's go," you sighed to yourself, pulling your glittery jacket on. Elsa had volunteered you to be the unofficial host of the show.

Lately, the show had been lacking due to no new acts. When Elsa found and successfully recruited Bette and Dot, you immediately went to town to promote the show.

Though Bette can be quite demanding, they both are truly sweet girls. It was to be a full house, each seat taken by someone.

You ran into Jimmy backstage. He was pulling an extension cord through the curtain, probably setting up for a new spotlight.

"Jimmy," You greeted, setting your jacket on one of the stools.

"Y/N."

There's something about Jimmy that is mysterious and lately he's been unusually distant with you, like something was bothering him. To be honest, Jimmy and you had never been close but you were friends. You looked at your makeup in silence, fixing things here and there while Jimmy fixed last minute things.

"What's eating at you?" You blurted out, resisting the urge to slap a hand over your mouth when you realized what you said. Jimmy stayed quiet, but his arms tensed as he pondered the question. "Okay, subject change," you chuckled awkwardly , "Are you excited? It's the first full house in weeks."

"I guess," He sighed, "The people only ever come to make fun of us."

It's true. Technically, you're not a freak, but as long as you have food and a home, you can survive happily. You don't need anything else. You think that's why Elsa hired me in the first place, you're free.

"I get it."

"No, Y/N, I don't think you do get it," Jimmy snapped, tossing whatever he was holding onto the floor, "You have the perfect body. You're normal Y/N, there's no reason for you to stay here."

You felt your blood begin to boil, "Jimmy, if you're trying to kick me out-"

"That's exactly what I want Y/N. You don't belong here."

You clenched your fists, "I may not be a freak, but I deserve to be here just as much as you do."

"They see me as a freak."

"Those people out there," you snapped, pulling him to look at you, "the ones who think they're scum. You have an opportunity to show them they're wrong."

"What if they're right?" Jimmy whispered, tears in his eyes. Your anger disappeared, replaced by sympathy. You let Jimmy go. All of the ridicule is getting to him and it was destroying you.

"Jimmy, you have everything going for you. You're smart, you're attractive, you're young. Maybe you should take a few weeks off and just travel around."

"They'd think I'm on the run."

"On the run from the police?"

"Jimmy what did you do?" You demanded, holding his arm.

"I-I killed a man," Jimmy whispered softly, "I took someone husband, father, son-"

"Jimmy," I snapped, "it's okay. I heard how rude he was. We can deal with that later, when they come looking for him."

You and Jimmy shared an awkward embrace.

"Thank you Y/N," He sniffed, "you're too nice to me when all I've been is an ass to you."