5

The last two weeks has been good in a way. Zendaya decided to come to Houston a week earlier to surprise me. I finally joined the youth choir and started helping out with vacation bible school which meant that I saw Sam more often since the band practiced with us. The only downside was that I had only spent time with Normani the day after she asked me to sleep over and I hadn't seen her since except randomly when we were walking our dogs.
A part of me missed her, but another part of me was having fun making friends easily.

A tap on my shoulder pulled me out of my thoughts. I turned around and saw Sam watching me. 'What are you thinking about?'

'Did you want something from me?'

'I do kind of actually. Would you go out on a date with me?'

I was taken aback. 'Wait really?'

'I was being serious when we met. I really like you. You don't have to say—'

'–Yes,' I answered with a smile. 'I would like to go on a date with you.'

Sam flashed me a smile that froze me on the spot and made me forget what I had been thinking about. 'That's amazing. I'll call you and tell you the details?'

'Yeah.'

Zendaya grabbed my hand and pulled me outside as soon as Sam was gone. 'What the hell was that?'

'Z you can't swear in church!'

'I said hell, it's in the Bible. What did he want?'

I rolled my eyes. 'He asked me out on a date and said he really likes me.'

'And you said?'

'Yes obviously. Now can we go home? I'm hungry.'

'You're always hungry, but fine. We'll talk about this more at home.'

We saw Normani not far from the church. She had headphones in and she was walking with slightly hunched shoulders and her hands stuck in her pockets, which was unusual for the Texan whose posture was always perfect. I drove up right beside her since she hadn't heard the car horn before and she finally turned to look at us.

'Oh hey guys, where are you going?'

'We're heading home. My mom made us help out with VBS. from church, what are you doing? Are you okay?'

She nodded. 'Yeah I'm just taking a walk. Why do you ask?'

'Mani you're dressed in all black in this heat. Not to mention that hoodie. Let me take you home.'

'No, I'm just walking, I promise I'm fine. I'll see you guys around.'

I started car and Zendaya shot me a look. I groaned, knowing full well that she wanted me to get out and walk with Normani whilst she drove home. I shook my head; Zendaya got out of the car and slammed the door shut. She jogged around the corner and took the shortcut that Normani had just taken to catch up with her.

I drove home and I ended up sitting in my car and talking to Sam while I waited for Zendaya and Normani to finally come home.

Zendaya knocked on the car window and made a face at me. 'You could have gone inside.'

'Shut up, how was your walk?'

'Informative.'

I shook my head as we walked into the house and straight up to my room. 'No way, I know Normani. Getting her to talk is like pulling teeth.'

'She didn't have to say anything to communicate. Normani talks with her facial expressions and her body language.'

'So what did she tell you?'