8

Do you believe in God and angels? It's a million dollar question isn't it. If you believe in them then you believe that things that would other wise be miracles or lucky coincidences are their doing. And if you don't, then they are just that, miracles and lucky coincidences.

I believe in Him. I believe angels walk among us, and we see them as kind strangers, going out of their way to commit selfless acts in a world where the word humanity is no longer synonymous with benevolence. Why am I telling you this? I guess because there were days when I genuinely wondered if Normani wasn't my own personal angel from God.

Aside from the beauty, she was a girl with a huge heart. Despite repeatedly telling me that she did not easily let people in, she had done so with me. And the most recent of her kind and arguably stupid acts was hanging out with me and catching a cold.

Andrea was getting ready to leave. 'Oh hi Dinah, are you here to see Mani?'

'Yes, I brought comfort food, Marley and a game for us to play if she feels up to it.'

'When she was younger we would lie in bed and I'd play with her hair and sing to her till she fell asleep. We haven't done that in years.'

I cleared my throat to fill the awkward silence. 'I'm sure she'd still love to do that with you.'

'One day she just wanted to be alone and ever since she has just continued to withdraw. I'm glad she has her friends, and you.'

'She doesn't tell me anything.'

Andrea smiled sadly, 'I'm just heading to the store. You should stay for dinner. Maybe you can get her to actually eat something.'

'I'll just threaten to go home. That usually does the trick.'

'I'll take anything at this point. I have a few errands to run that shouldn't take too long but call if you need anything.'

'Thanks Mrs. H.'

I found Normani lying in bed with Lola. She grinned and patted the spot beside her. 'Are you sure you won't get sick? I mean I know I caught it from you so your immune system is ready to kick this cold's ass but still.'

'For the hundredth time, no I will not get sick. Marley that's my spot.'

'Go on boy, scoot over so money can come and cuddle me then you cuddle her.'

I couldn't help but smile. 'I know you're sick but you're literally adorable when you're sick.'

'Thank you, oh did you bring hot wings?'

'Of course, they're hot enough to chase that cold away.'

Normani giggled. 'Thank you for volunteering to spend time with me. Choie said one of us has to survive to tell the story of our lives.'

'I think she just wanted to hang out with Z. They're besties now.'

'Then you and I can be besties, problem solved. We don't have to watch this if you don't want to.'

She was watching the informercial channel. Before she could change the channel I stopped her. I enjoyed watching it for the same reason I liked being at Home Depot. I could plan how I wanted my future house to look. Or in this case all the kitchen utensils I would have in here that I wouldn't use.

I used the hand of the arm that was around her shoulder to play with the hair behind her ear and I started humming a mindless tune. Ten minutes later, she moved away.

'What are you doing?'

'Your mom told me that when you were sick—'

Normani scoffed. 'There was nothing relaxing about what you were doing. Let me show you.'