57

I couldn't keep my eyes off her. It was our first Thanksgiving as an actual couple and things were going well for the most part. Thanksgiving I mean, but also between us. We were done with therapy and although we had the occasional fight here and there we always talked about it until both of us were satisfied that we could put the issue to bed. Sometimes she'd turn and her eyes would scan the room until they found me, and tiniest smile would adorn her face. Other times she'd look straight at me, and an intensity in her gaze would keep me locked in place.

She burst out laughing at something that her aunt said to her, and then her eyes found mine again. A minute later she got up, pausing by the staircase to give me a look that said to follow her. I waited a few minutes before going upstairs to her room under the guise of needing the bathroom. Dinah was in the middle of her bed, holding two controllers. I noticed that she was wearing the engagement ring on her right ring finger.

Her eyes flicked to her finger before they returned to mine. 'Sorry, you left it behind and I got into this habit of wearing it whenever I missed you.'

'I didn't want the reminder of what I had given up. Or that I had been the one to ruin it in the first place by proposing.'

'You didn't ruin it. You jumped the gun a little but you didn't ruin it. However, I'm going to propose this time around. Give this to me then,' Dinah murmured as she handed me the ring. 'Now let's play.'

I couldn't help but smile as I watched her set the game up. She looked at me and frowned. 'What? Did I do it wrong?'

'No, I love you Dinah Jane.'

'I love you too. Okay come on, let me kick your ass.'

She tried, she almost beat me too but I always won, and I did my winning dance while she watched. She rolled her eyes and tackled me onto the bed, pinning me down with her body before she lowered her lips to mine. She freed my wrists and I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her body down onto mine. Dinah groaned when I slipped my hand underneath her top. I had no idea how much time had passed, but soon we were both sporting bruises on our bodies, Dinah in other less visible parts of her body. I had just slipped my hand into her jeans when her door opened suddenly.

She jumped off the bed and ended up falling on the floor instead. Funaki burst into laughter. 'Dad you owe Grandpa fifty bucks!'

Dinah rolled her eyes as she slammed the door in her sister's face. She pulled her t-shirt back over her head and handed me mine before lying down on the bed beside me. 'Do you remember the time I took you camping?'

'I wish I had kissed you that night, but at the same time I'm glad I didn't.'

'I think I wanted you to kiss me, if you had I never would have gone on that date. But I'm also kind of glad you didn't. I don't regret how that night happened.' She pulled me closer and I turned to face the window. Dinah wrapped her body around mine and took my hand in hers. She kissed the back of my neck and snuggled closer against me. 'What I do regret however is abandoning you in high school. You didn't deserve that.'

I shrugged. 'It's in the past. We're good now baby.'

When I woke up a few hours later, it was dark. Dinah was sitting up and looking at something on her phone while she played with my hair and my head was in her lap. She looked down at me, smiling when she noticed that I was awake. 'Hey sleepyhead.'

'How long was I asleep?'

'Three hours. I didn't want to wake you because you haven't been sleeping well the last few days.'

I sat up, 'yeah, work's been kind of crazy. Speaking of which, did I get any calls?'

'Nope, but then again, they all know not to call you on weekends or when we're on vacation on holidays. And the only people who can call won't call unless it's an emergency that they can't solve themselves.'