54

A/n: so I know y'all are probably wondering why it's taking me so long to update. Life has kinda been crazy, but to cut a long story short I'm busy so by the time I get a chance to write, I'm usually knackered and I want to just curl up in bed and close my eyes. But I am working on finish this story. I know exactly how it ends, I just need to find the time to write.

-

'Hey boss so I know you specifically asked me to take all personal calls and ignore calls from a certain group of people, but in the last half hour Dinah's called you five times. I checked her Instagram story and she's at the park with Ava. And there's she is calling again. So should I answer or keep ignoring it?'

'No let me answer it.'

She handed me the phone, I took a deep breath before answering the call. 'Hey—'

'–finally. I'm at the hospital with Ava and I thought I should let you know.'

'What happened? Are you okay?'

'We're both fine. I'll text you what hospital to come to if you're free.' She hung up before I could say anything else.

Giana already had my backpack, jacket and keys ready when I stood up. 'Sorry, I saw the look on your face and I figured you'd have to go. What happened?'

'It was Dinah, she's at the hospital, with Ava. I'll text and let you know if I'm coming back or not.'

'I packed your bag.'

Dinah was waiting for me by the reception. 'I'm sorry for blowing your phone up. Grace is out of town and I'm babysitting Ava. I took her to the park, she was playing and she fell off the jungle gym. And we're both her legal guardians when Grace is out of town. So I figured I should let you know.'

'Okay where is she right now?'

'With one of the nurses. I left so I could come and get you. Getting a brace for her wrist with Dinah. She had to get stitches on her leg. Other than that, I think it's just small cuts and scrapes.'

'Does Grace know?'

Ally nodded, 'yeah she booked a flight back but she said to call you in the meantime.'

'Thank you for calling.'

Dinah
While Ava talked to Grace on Ally's phone, I checked mine. Normani has finally answered her phone after nine missed calls and I knew she'd be here any minute. For some reason that knowledge filled me with dread. Although I hadn't known until I was at the unveiling that I would confront her, it had filled me with a sense of bravado that allowed me to face her in the first place. Now I had nothing. Laying all my cards bare for her to see left me vulnerable.

My heart stopped when the door opened and Normani walked in. She smiled, 'hey, sorry I missed your calls. I would have gotten here sooner if I knew—'

'–I know,' I cut her off. 'I'm glad you're here. For Ava I mean. You make her happy.'

'Mommy Mani's here. Hi Mani.'

'Hey Avatar.'

'Mommy wants to talk to you.'

'Okay, pass me the phone.'

I could feel two sets of eyes on me as I watched Normani walk over to the window while she talked to Grace; she was smiling and laughing, this time genuinely. As stupid as I felt for still noticing things like that, I couldn't help it. Even after I got over her, I still wouldn't be able to just turn of the part of me that noticed everything.

'Hey Avatar guess what?'

'What?'

'Mommy says you get to have pizza and ice cream tonight and she'll give you a very big hug when she gets home.'