18

'Hey so Nikki's been feeling kind of down latterly so we're taking her out to her favorite restaurant after school. Are you in?'

'I was supposed to pick my sister up, but if I can find someone else to do it I'm in.'

Nina beamed at me, 'amazing, maybe while you're at it you can see if Abi wants to come? I haven't gotten a chance to talk to her yet.'

'Yeah of course.'

I sat next to Abi in Trig, and whilst we were completing on our work sheets, I decided to bring it up. She had been spending more time with Choie and Normani than she had been with us since she and Sam argued at a party.

'Hey so Nina asked me to invite you out with us right after this. We're going to her sister's favorite restaurant.'

Abi didn't look up from her paper. 'I have to get home after school.'

'You said your parents were out of town so you're home alone until tonight when your brother and his girlfriend get back. Come on it'll be fun. Plus Nikki is single and she's pretty.'

'I don't want to spend the afternoon with Nikki and Nina. I would rather spend Christmas and new year's alone.' I didn't push the issue further, partially because the teacher was watching us and I had to finish my own worksheet.

Normani and I both had study periods and we usually either spent them in the practice rooms or the library. She texted me after the bell rang to tell me that she was in the library working on her essay for history and I could come and join her if I wanted.

Sam was waiting outside to walk me to wherever I wanted to go before heading to his own class. 'How was class?'

'Same as always. You're coming to this thing after school right?'

'Actually no, I gotta head home and help the family with thanksgiving dinner. I think it's just going to be a girls' thing anyway.'

'See you later,' I mumbled as I kissed him.

Normani was at our usual spot with a whole bunch of books open on the desk, doing research for the essay that we had to write on the civil war. I put my bag down on my seat and sat down beside her.

'Hey Manibear.'

'What do you want?' She was asked without looking up from the text book that she was reading.

'Well you know how we have a half day because it's Thanksgiving but Mila's school finishes at the same time that it always does?'

Normani stopped writing. 'I know that now thanks to you.'

'I was supposed to get her, but something came up so I can't go and I didn't drive anyway. So please can you please pick her up and take her home for me? I'll text you the address of her school.'

'I have a session with Jessie, they're usually an hour and a half. She might have to wait like fifteen minutes if the traffic is really bad. But I can go and get her.'

'Wait really?'

Normani looked at me quizzically. 'Yes really. Is that all?'

'Yes it is, I will make it up to you big time Mani, I promise.'

'It's okay, go on your super romantic date,' Normani answered nonchalantly.

'Thank you Mani, also it's not a date,' I hugged her, I realized that it was the first time in a while. After she got over the initial shock, she wrapped her arms around me. I finally pulled away and kissed her cheek. 'You are the best.'