10

'So Daya found this flyer for an open mic night. Do you want to come with us? I already asked Sam and Abi. And Z already asked Choie. We can leaveo if it gets boring.' And

Normani groaned. 'Fine, I'll go with you.'

'Wait really? I really didn't think you'd say yes to hanging out with Sam and Abi.'

'It's an open mic night, we'll mostly be watching people perform rather than talking. And my best friend will be there.'

I tilted my head and studied her. 'You are a strange girl.'

'That is true. Let me put on my shoes.'

'Is that how you're going? Is that how you woke up this morning and dressed. Have you been anywhere today?'

Normani looked down at her clothes with a frown. 'No, yes and no. Why do you ask? Should I change?'

'No you look good. So you just wake up and decide you're going to look this good even if you don't go anywhere? Are you even capable of looking like shit.'

'I was once convinced to wear an auntie wig in a moment of madness. Never again.'

I waited for her to find a pair of shoes to wear and eventually she settled on a pair of heels since I was wearing the same. Part of me still couldn't believe that this was the same girl who couldn't look me on the eye for more than five seconds without starting to feel either extremely awkward or very shy.

Zendaya was waiting for us by my car. She got into the back, forcing Normani to sit in the passenger seat beside me without a word. I could see Normani looking between us, trying to figure out if something was wrong but this was just another of my best friend's plots to get us closer.

The drive was silent, not the awkward kind that any of us needed to fill. I was thinking about the fact that I was about to sing solo in front of my friends. Zendaya was texting on her phone and Normani was completely lost in thought.

We got to the café before either Choie, Sam or Abi did so we found a booth that wasn't too far back or too close to the stage if we wanted to get up and order anything. It wouldn't start for another hour and a half so we were going to have dinner first.

They all got there at the same time. Choie sat beside Zendaya, who was on the other end of the booth and Abi skin in between Zendaya and Normani whilst Sam came to sit beside me at the other end of the booth.

We ordered our food and were done eating just in time for the first act which was a poem. The more people that went up on stage, the more I felt reluctant to go up and perform. At least until the host for the night called Sam, Abi and Normani up front.

I watched in surprise as the three went up. Sam sat at the piano and Normani picked up a guitar and sat on a stool beside Abi. Zendaya and Choie moves closer to me. 'They used to come here all the time last summer bad they would perform.'

'What are the odds?'

'I was lying, I didn't see a flyer. I asked Sam if there were any places.'

A tornado flew around my room before you came
Excuse the mess it made, it usually doesn't rain in
Southern California, much like Arizona
My eyes don't shed tears, but, boy, they bawl

Sam and Normani came in on their instruments as Abi sang. 'She can play the guitar?'

'In Normani's words. 'Why would she pick up an instrument that she can't play?'