33

'So not that I'm not glad that you finally agreed to go out with me, but what changed your mind?'

'I know what it's like to have someone toy with your feelings. Plus I like you. I'm just sorry that this had to be low key.'

Victoria shrugged as she took my hand in hers. We were in her living room on the couch, she was leaning against the armrest of the couch with her legs in my lap and my feet were resting on the coffee table. It felt like we had been doing this forever and this was just a low key night at home even though this was only our third date.

I soon became engrossed in watching infinity war. She threw a strawberry at the side of my head. 'You said you had seen this before.'

'I have.'

'You're staring hella hard at the screen like it's your first time.'

'So you threw a perfectly good strawberry at my head because I'm too engrossed in a movie?' I asked as I took the lid off my bottle of water.

Victoria tried to move away but I held her legs in place. 'Mani whatever you're going to do, can please you strongly consider not doing it?'

'What, I'm just taking a sip of water and talking to you— oops,' I replied, spilling the water everywhere. She took the bottle and threw the rest at me before kissing me.

'You just wanted to get me wet.'

'I don't need a bottle of water to do that,' I answered, kissing her again. My phone started ringing. I ignored it until it stopped but a minute later it began again and we both groaned.

'You should just answer it, it could be important.'

I reached for the phone, and after showing her that it was my mother, I got up from the couch and went to the kitchen. 'Hey mom, what's up?'

'Hi baby, I just wanted to check up on you. Are you at Dinah's, am I interrupting? Why are you wet?'

'No I'm actually at Vic's place, but we're just hanging out. And I had an accident with a water bottle. How are you?'

She shrugged, 'I'm great, so is your father. We just really miss you. I was actually in your room earlier doing some cleaning and I remember how you would always be on your laptop or playing games or making music. I miss that.'

'I miss you too mom. I can come home this weekend. We can start planning our next family vacation. Plus I get to see Grandma, Ash, Ari and Caleb.'

'You don't have to do that, I know how busy you are out there.'

'No it's okay, I don't have any sessions or meetings with anyone and I can work from home if I need to.'

I knew I had to go home when I saw how excited she got at the prospect of me coming home. 'Okay don't tell the others, we should surprise them.'

'I can keep secrets.'

'No you can't! Okay baby let me not interrupt your evening with your friend. I love you and I'll see you soon. Bye!'

'Bye Mom, I love you too.'

I went back to where Victoria was pretending to be engrossed by the movie on the couch. 'So I guess it's a rain check on doing anything this weekend?'