24 | sharing a bed?

24 | sharing a bed?

I AM NOT sure what is going to happen during this dinner we are having tonight. I am still not ready to forgive mom and dad for keeping me in the dark for so long but mom managed to convince me to have dinner with them tonight and invited Shivaay too. Obviously, I couldn’t say no because well, it was food and mom’s pleading eyes. I may be mad at her but it still hurts me to see the tears rolling down her cheeks. I don’t show it but I care too much about them to see them hurt even when I am mad at them.

So here I am, walking towards the apartment with Shivaay in tow. He’s wearing a leather jacket with a white t-shirt and has his hands rammed inside his pocket. I eye the leather jacket, desperate for some warmth because stupid me had to wear just a short sleeved top. As the misty wind wipes my face, I shiver and wrap my arms around myself.

Shivaay seems to notice that I am cold. He frowns at the clothes I am wearing, obviously thinking how much of a stupid I am to wear a short sleeved top whose fabric is way too thin for the weather. My eyes linger on his jacket and when he sees what I am eyeing, he sighs then takes off his jacket. Slowly, he wraps it around my body and I am instantly warmed by the fabric.

It has the smell of mint and sandalwood which I happily relish in. Tugging the jacket closer to my body, I saunter to the apartment. When we enter the lobby a while later, I am extremely happy to find the warmth although the jacket had already fought off the chill that had been bothering me earlier.

“Wait, Kitten, before we go, tell me one thing. Is this like a ‘meet the parents’ thing-y or something? Or is this just a formal dinner we’re about to have?” he asks, rubbing the nape of his neck.

I smirk, “Is this nervousness that I can feel in the air?” When Shivaay flushes at my comment, I laugh. “Chillax, this is going to be just a normal dinner. Feel free to think of mom and dad as your family. They are pretty cool and from what I know, they are totally gonna love you.” I roll my eyes but give him an encouraging smile nonetheless. He smile back. “They do seem to like weird boys a lot, take Rohit for example.” I laugh but Shivaay only scowls.

“Well, when you have a daughter who is weirdness personified then it’s only best if you like weird boys. After all, that’s the only pair which’ll fit with their daughter.” He shoots back, pressing the elevator button.

“Touche,” I drawl, stepping in when the elevator chimes. I press the floor number and a few moments later, the door opens. I lead our way to my home and press the doorbell. Just a few seconds later, Maasi opens the door. She smiles but when her eyes fall on Shivaay, it flatters. She looks questioningly at him, waiting for me to introduce him. Looks like mom and dad didn’t tell her about who would be joining us for dinner tonight. It feels like keeping secrets is becoming a habit for them.

“Maasi, meet Shivaay, he’s…” I pause for a second, “a friend.”

Shivaay smile never flatters from his face. The word ‘friend’ doesn’t seem to affect him and something in my gut twists painfully. I don’t show it though and put on a poker face in pretense. “Shivaay, this is maasi and Rohit’s mom.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, mam.” He smiles at Maasi and she smiles back warmly.

“You can call me Mrs Malhotra or aunty or Maasi if you’d like.” Totally charmed. One down. Two more to go.

He hands her the bouquet of yellow roses he had brought. “Oh, you’re such a charmer.” My mother appears magically when it’s flowers. I swear this woman can sense flowers from any part of the world. She appreciates Shivaay for bringing them.