19 | is somebody jealous?

"HA MAA," I heave a sigh, crossing my legs together as I answer my mother the umpteenth time that I am indeed coming home this weekend. God knows why my mother is being so sentimental these days. It's not like I have just moved away. It's been five years, man. So why the sudden shower of love? "Mom, I'll talk to you later. Bye, love you!"

"Love you too, Ani. Take care," she mumbles, her voice thick with emotions. I hang up on her and stare at the carton placed in front of me. When my mum had called, I had been taking out a file from the back of my other closet–which only had books, sheets, files etc.–this carton had fallen out from the back of my closet.

My fingers brush the rough edges of the carton and a wistful smile adorns my lips as I remember all the memories it has in it. Slowly tearing the tape apart, I take out the albums and gingerly place them on my lap. They have sorted carefully into separate albums according to the time they have been clicked.

Clearly not my work since it has been done with such neatness. It's my mom's work who had always wanted to capture everything in that camera of hers.

Opening the last year's album, I can't hold back my smile. It starts as a small smile when I see Gauri and my face grinning up in the camera but morphs into a full blown smile when my last birthday's pictures roll around. A very cheeky smile dances on my a year younger self and it's infectious because I smile as well.

"GAURI, COME HERE, GIRL." I holler, my smile still intact in its place. A moment later, her head pops inside my room with a questioning look. I gesture to the picture album in my hand and a smile creeps up on her face as she enthusiastically bounces inside my room.

"Geez, I'm excited for this, A." Gauri rubs her palms together, her excitement clear. It's been a while since we did this. Almost every year, we sit together and go through every thing all over again. "Come on, start from the first year of college."

We open the album and immediately burst into laughter at Gauri's weirdly arched eyebrows and mortified face. I remember almost everything that had happened but there are couple of blank spots which we fill each other on.

"I know it's random but my mom told me a few years ago that she couldn't take me to the store because I would sneakily follow the workers in the back room and pull out a fake gun to scare them." I grin and Gauri laughs. I was a really naughty kid if you ask my mom. Sue me for having the best incidents to share.

We look at the watch hanging to see it's past midnight already. Gauri stretches her arms as she rolls over the rug on the floor. Yawning, she says, "It's pretty late. I'm gonna have my beauty sleep now."

I snort at that and wish her a gold night. Laying back down on the soft rug, I scroll through my phone aimlessly to see one messages from Satan.

Satan Reincarnated; 11:59, You still up, babe?

My eyes widen a fraction when it's replaced by a scowl after his second message.

Satan Reincarnated;  12:01, Sorry kitten, that wasn't meant for you

Annoyed is the word I would use for my feelings right now. I feel extremely annoyed by his messages for some reason. Deciding not to decode my feelings, I text him back hastily.