milkshakes and fakes

i hope these chapters make up for my absence. i'm sorryyyyyyyy.

max's pov

gwen and i went to the food court. i must admit, i was pretty hungry. we ended up getting five guys. i got a milkshake and gwen and i split some fries. honestly, today was a lot of fun. maybe i am getting better...

david jogged up to the table, smiling and out of breath. he had a huge bag right by his side.
"the fuck is that?" i asked.
"language. and it's for you." he said, practically beaming. he set the bag next to me.
"well.... open it!" gwen said excitedly.
i grabbed the bag and peered in.
"what?"
i pulled out a case.
"what is this?" i said.
"open the case." david said. he had already regained his breath.
i set the case on the ground. if this is what i think it is...
i slowly unzipped the case, building up the anticipation of the moment. honestly, i just wanted to rip it open, but part of me told me to savor it and be careful.
"holy shit..."

IT WAS THE GUITAR ON THE WALL!!!! oh my fucking god. the guitar was so beautiful. it was a nice, light bamboo wood. there was a silver plating all along the sides. i flipped the guitar on its side and strummed it. then i looked at it again. there was an engraving on the side.

to max, the best son i could have ever asked for.

tears welled up in my eyes. i had never gotten anything like this before. i looked at david. he was leaning his head on gwen, smiling.

"thank you." i whispered. he nodded and came over to me. "here, can i see it for a second?" he said. i nodded and he grabbed the guitar, tuning it. he handed it back to me. "you can do whatever you want with this. make music. destroy it. keep it in a garage forever. become a song writer. but no matter what you do, i will always love you and i will always care about you." i looked at him and hugged him tightly. for some reason, it felt like he really meant it. he pulled away from the hug for a moment and said, "and i will always be here to protect you."

david, gwen and i were waking out of the mall after finishing our food when i looked around to see a familiar curly, red hair. i was holding both gwen and david's hands as i began to walk faster. i felt my heart rate begin to increase and my hands sweat. david and gwen must have noticed since david stopped for a moment and looked at me. "what's wrong?" he said.

it was too late.

464 words