Chapter Fourteen: Losing Everything

I stare in horror at the sight before my eyes. I stop counting how many of them there are as Hershel and the others came outside. "Patricia kill the lights." Hershel tells her.

"I'll get the guns." Andrea says as I unholster mine.

"Maybe they will just pass just like the heard on the highway, should we just go inside?" Glenn asks.

"Unless there is a tunnel downstairs I don't know about, a herd that size will rip the house down." Daryl answers.

"So what do we do?" I ask hoping he has a better answer than the ones I could think of.

"We will have to..." Daryl tries to answer but gets interrupted by words I never wanted to hear.

"Carl's gone." Lori says to me. I run into the house to search for him, heart pounding and worry coursing through me. Please Lord and Lady no not him, not Carl! Take me, not him! I beg as I check literally everywhere I can think; including in cabinets and closets. I search everywhere... with no luck.

"The barns on fire." I hear Beth say as I am passing into the living room.

"They are heading for it. Maybe Rick set it on fire to lure them in?" Patricia says as I look outside with her.

"Was a good plan." I say turning around to continue my search.

"I can't find him anywhere!" Lori comes downstairs looking at me for hope as I sadly shake my head.

"So maybe he snuck outside." Carol says following her.

"WHAT DO I DO?" Lori shouts.

"Lori, Carol may be right." I say grabbing my gun again knowing I would be looking for him outside.

"Maybe he went looking for Rick or went after Randall himself." Carol says.

"That would be like him." I sigh.

"Maybe he set the fire?" Patricia says as I turn around thinking she may be right. I had a place to start looking.

I run out to Hershel who was shooting down a ton of the walkers.

"Have you seen Carl out here?" I yell over the noise.

"No!!!" Hershel replies, I nod shooting down a couple walkers as I turn to the barn to start my search.

"Herschel! Esme! Let's go! It's time to go!" Lori yells to us. I turn around and run to her.

"Carl?!?!" I question her.

"We have to trust that he is with Rick." Carol says to me, I look to Lori who looks just as lost as I feel, but she still nods to me.

Hershel refuses to come; so the others and I ran around the back, I shoot down 5 walkers before I have to reload my clip. I hear Beth scream and turn to around to see Patricia getting bit, I grab onto Beth but she wouldn't let go. I look to Patricia as she continues to scream. I pull Beth's arm off of Patricia's as I see the light fade from her eyes. At that point, I knew I didn't want her to turn. Without another thought, I shot her in the head.

"Beth! Come on! It's too late!" I say wrapping my arm around her and dragging her with me. That's 9 now.....

I make sure Lori and Beth are in the truck as I jump in the back still shooting at walkers that get close. I turn just in time to see Andrea shoot a walker about to hurt Carol, then see a walker jump on top of her. She didn't get back up. That now makes 10.... I look for Carol again but can't see her anywhere. At that moment the car lurches forward and I have to hold on, I bend down near the cab and open up the back window of the truck. "Where are we going?" I ask Tdog who is driving.