Chapter Ten: Tragedy

So far, today was peaceful. We were all sitting around the campfire eating breakfast. It felt great, my sugar level was normal, we had food and water, there hasn't been a walker incident for a while. Everything with the old campsite, the CDC, Sophia, and Carl seemed to be so far away. Don't get me wrong we were still doing everything to find her, but right now at this moment, things were great.

I looked around at everyone, they are all just talking or sitting peacefully. Except for Glenn he was off away just staring at the barn. I got up to go see if he was ok, when he suddenly turns around, worry on his face. The peaceful feeling in my stomach was now drowned by panic. What does he know that we don't?...

"Um, guys?" Glenn calls. Everyone turns to him curiously as I walk up to him.

"What's wrong Glenn?" I ask.

"So.." Glenn mutters before blurting out, "The barn's full of walkers."

"....What?..." I half choke one the word.

Shane peers through the small crack of the doors to the barn, stepping away instantly to approach Rick once he knew for sure walkers were in there. "You cannot tell me you're alright with this,"

"No, I'm not," Rick answers. "But we're guests here. This isn't our land."

"This is our lives, man!" Shane yells.

"Lower your voice," Glenn pleads.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea says.

"It ain't right," T-Dog adds. "Not remotely."

Shane paces back and forth shaking his head. The look on his face was starting to scare me. "Okay, we've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right or we've just got to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time now."

"We can't go," Rick says forcefully.

"Why, Rick, why?" Shane asks like he didn't understand, even I knew why we couldn't leave.

"Because my daughter is still out there," Carol speaks up, pulling everyone's gaze towards her.

Shane runs his hands over his face with a sigh. "Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."

"Shane, we're not leaving Sophia behind, I've told you that before. I'm not giving up on her. We are not having this conversation again!" I say mad that he would say such a thing to Carol.

"I'm close to finding this girl," Daryl agrees. "I just found her damn doll two days ago."

"You found her doll, Daryl," Shane argues. "That's what you did. You found a doll."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about!" He barks, taking intimidating steps towards Shane.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said. You get a good lead, it's in the first forty-eight hours!"

"Shane, stop!" Rick snaps.

"Let me tell you something else, man," Shane continues, completely ignoring Rick. "If she was alive out there and saw you coming, all method out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction, man!"

"Shane, enough!" I yell shaking my head.

Daryl and Shane began to yell at each and everyone had to step in to get them to stop. I push Daryl back farther from Shane. "Enough I'll deal with Shane we're not going to stop looking for her." I tell him. He just nods at me, but he was still staring at Shane angry.

"Keep your hands off of me," Shane snaps at Lori as she pushes him away from the group, he starts to walk away from all of us.

"Now just let me talk to Hershel," Rick calls after him. "Let me figure it out."