Chapter Twenty Seven: To Fight or To Give up?

We move to scavenge the town going from house to house. I move into a garage grabbing some trash bags to start collecting things when I hear glass shattering. I turn to see Michonne breaking a picture frame. Rick taps her on the shoulder.

"Clean shirt." She says leaning down and shaking the glass out of it. I shrug understanding.

"We'll figure it out." Rick tells her. I frown and sigh. I didn't know if we would.

"We will." She answers and walks to me.

"Found some garbage bags to use." I say not knowing what to say to her.

"You didn't think it would still be here?" I hear Rick ask Glenn as I am packing some supplies into my bag.

"Did you?" He asks Rick.

"After it happened, right after with Beth in the hospital, I saw that woman, Dawn. She didn't mean to do it. I knew it. I saw it. But I wanted to kill her..." Rick starts to explain. I frown seeing Beth fall in my mind. I shake my head as tears start to pick my eyes. "I remember I just wondered if it even mattered one way or another. Didn't have a thing to do with Beth." I look at Rick then understanding what he was saying. I wanted Dawn dead ten times more after seeing Maggie's pain when she lost her sister after just losing her father. I didn't understand how for Rick it had nothing to do with Beth though. "I don't know if I thought it would still be here, but Beth wanted to get him here. She wanted to get him back home. This was for her. And it could have been for us too." Rick tells him and looks around. I smile when his eyes meet mine.

"I was thinking about that guy in the storage container." Glenn starts to speak as I hear Michonne step beside me. "Back at Terminus, how I made it stop. After the prison on my trip, I got Maggie back. Things went okay. Losing Washington, Losing..." I frown angrily as I think about Eugene lying to everyone, as Glenn bends down and picks up a bat. "Losing Beth, right after just finding out she's alive... I hadn't caught up with you yet. If it were now, I wouldn't make us stop. We'd run right by, and I would have shot that woman dead. Right or Wrong." I frown at Glenn and walk over to him placing my hand on both their shoulders.

"We need to stop." Michonne gets our attention. I turn around as Rick and Glenn stare at her. "You can be out here too long."

We gather more supplies till we can't carry anymore and start heading back to Tyreese and Noah.

"We can stack some garage doors up against the break and park a car in front to hold it," Michonne says she wanted us to regain this neighborhood as our own. "Do that till we can brick it back up."

"It's not a bad...." I start but Rick was shaking his head no.

"It can work." Michonne tells him.

"This place is surrounded by a forest. There are no sight lines." He explains. "Whoever or whatever would be on top of us without us even knowing it. That is probably what happened."

"That's what happened to us." Glenn says. I sigh, he was right.

"So then what?" I ask.

"We can start by bringing down the trees. We use them to build the walls up." Michonne says. "Look." She says walking faster to show us what she means. We follow her as she stops dead in her tracks. When we catch up we see bodies torn apart, the wall on this side coming down.

"It doesn't matter." Glenn says. I turn in confusion.

"What?" Rick asks confused as well.

"You said you wondered if it even mattered if you killed her or not. It doesn't matter if you had done it or if I had, or that Daryl did. It doesn't matter."