Chapter Eleven: Cruel World

Everyone was silent as we all try to soak in what had just happened. The only sounds were Carol's and the Greene's sobs as they cry. Poor Carol had just lost her daughter for the second time in just a few weeks. I couldn't imagine the pain. I don't know what I would do if I lost Rick a second time but I'm sure a daughter is worse in its own way. I turn my eyes over to Daryl and Carol. Daryl was trying to pull her to her feet, once she was stable she ran off towards camp. I knew she wanted to be alone.

"Wait." Rick speaking caught my attention, I turn my head to see Beth looking around the walkers. She stopped at a female walker and it moved to grab her pigtail. Beth screams as the walker growls at her trying to grab onto her arms. Shane was the first to move, grabbing Beth and pulling her away from the walker. T-Dog ran forward and stomps on the walker in an attempt to keep it down. Instead, Glenn grabbed the walker by its wrists and holds it still as Andrea moves to find a weapon. Please woman you have a gun in your hand.... I move and shoot the walker in the head, allowing Glenn to let go of it. Beth hurries over to her father and latches onto him as he and Patricia lead her back to the house, with Maggie and Glenn shortly behind them.

I look at Shane as he paces for a few moments and runs his hands over his face agitatedly before he follows after them. I was going to follow when Rick puts his hand on my shoulder and shakes his head.

"Why?" I ask agitated.

"Esme your temper will agitate him more and you know it. Look at what happened between you and Andrea." Rick says. I could see Andrea look at us at the mention of her name.

"They both deserve it." I shake my head. "Fine, then you watch him." Rick just nods and hurries to catch up with him, knowing that it wasn't exactly a good idea to let him out of his sight anywhere near the Greene family. Especially after what had just happened.

I slowly walk back to camp and lay in my tent leaving it open for air flow. "Esme time for the funeral." I hear Lori call.

"Coming." I answer as I struggle to stand up, I was drained after everything.

After the funeral, everyone went their own way. I went inside to help with a few chores when I hear Maggie scream for her father. I run upstairs to see Beth on the floor unresponsive. "What happened?" I ask crouching down to help check if she hit her head or anything.

"She just fainted." Maggie answers.

"Let's get her on the bed, you get her feet." I say I move to pick up her upper body. Turns out Herschel had gone to one of his bars. So Rick and Glenn went to go get him. Maggie and I watch over Beth in the meantime. She woke up but is now in shock.

I was helping to try and get Beth to eat or even drink when the door opens Lori came in with Carl. "How is she?" She asks. I shake my head and put the water bottle I was holding down.

"Have Rick and Glenn came back?" I ask.

"No actually, I'm getting really worried and was wondering if you can watch Carl for a bit, let me clear my head." She says, sighing. She did look tired. "Sure, come on kid, let's go find something fun to do." I say, moving to him, I turn to Maggie. "Let me know if you need anything ok." She just nods.

Carl and I were drawing in the dirt when Shane comes over looking furious. "Esme, have you seen your sister?" He asks.

"Not since she asked me to watch Carl, why?" I say standing up.

"She's missing." Shane shakes his head and stomps away from me making his way over to where the others stood, which I'm assuming they attempted to find Lori as well, wherever the hell she went anyway. I run over to them now worried and even more angry with both of Shane and Lori.