Chapter Thirty Two: New Ties and Communities

I sit awkwardly trying to ignore everyone and keep my mind off of Tara's question when Rick stops driving.

"Yo, Rick, What's going on?" Daryl calls trying to look outside to see what's going on. I sit up to try and look out better as well, wincing when I stretch my wound again.

"We got a crash ahead," Rick explains. "Looks like it just happened." We all stand up.

"It's one of ours." Jesus says as Rick stops alongside the wreck. I cringe when I see all the blood. Glenn wakes Maggie up and we get out of the RV. Jesus runs to inspect the crash. Rick follows and pulls his gun.

"If this is a trick, it won't end well for you." Rick tells him pointing his gun at him. I sigh, I didn't even think of this as a trick and now I was on edge.

"My people are in trouble," Jesus says, he sounded panicked. I look around and pull Daryl to a spot I couldn't quite find out what happened I point and he inspects. "They don't, we don't have... we don't have a lot of fighters. I know how it looks but I'll play it out. Can I borrow a gun?"

"No," Daryl says he stands back up. "We got tracks right here." We follow the tracks to a house and Rick bangs on the door.

"They gotta be there." Jesus tells us.

"We moving in or what?" Abraham asks.

"How do we know this ain't firecrackers in a trashcan?" Daryl asks, going to the door.

"You don't." Jesus says frustrated.

"We'll get your people," Rick tells him. "You're staying here with one of us."

"I'll stay." I say Rick nods then turns to Michonne.

"That's the deal." Michonne tells him.

"Will you stay with Esme?" Glenn asks Maggie. I turn and smile at him.

"I'll watch over her." I tell him.

"Yeah. Y'all go just be careful." Maggie says walking over to me.

"Yeah, we're going to be careful." Rick says and handcuffs Jesus. I'm about to argue but I stop if this was a trap I was not going to put a pregnant Maggie at risk.

"Just hurry." Jesus says.

"You hear me whistle, you shoot him." Rick tells us. I nod.

"I will." Maggie says.

I watch them all enter the building, Daryl nodding to me as he enters last.

Thankfully after only a short while they come out with Jesus's people only one was hurt from the crash, come to find out one of his people was an Obstetrician his name was Dr. Carson. I help bandage up Freddie and we head back on our way. Only to get stuck just outside of Hilltop; this place had a wooden fence all around it and they were definitely on the defensive to pull weapons and spears on us the second they see us.

"Stop right there." A man calls.

"Whoa!" Jesus turns around trying to defuse the situation.

"You going to make us?" Daryl calls back as we pull our weapons.

"Jesus, what the hell is this?" Another man calls.

"Open the gates, Cal," Jesus says. "Freddie's hurt. Look sorry about these guys. They get antsy standing up there all day doing nothing." Jesus laughs.

"They give up the weapons," Cal tells Jesus. "Then we'll open the gates."

"Why don't you come down here and get 'em," Daryl calls getting angry.