Chapter Eighteen: Grief with Miracles

The next morning we work on getting the cars in.

"Ok let's get the other car in we'll park 'em in the west entry of the yard." Rick says looking at me and indicating my suburban, I nod and grab my keys out of my pocket.

"Good, our vehicles out there look like a giant vacancy sign." Daryl says, to which I tilt my head in confusion.

"After that, we need to load up these corpses so we can burn them." Rick continues.

"Gonna be a long day." T says looking at the field.

"Where's Glenn and Maggie? We could use some help." Carol asks coming back from the car. I look around not seeing them.

"Good question, I haven't seen them since yesterday night." I answer.

"Up in the guard tower." Daryl answers.

"Guard tower?" Rick questions. "They were just up there last night."

"Glenn! Maggie!" Daryl calls for them.

We wait for a second before Glenn opens the door with no shirt on and buttoning up his pants.

"Hey what's up guys?" He calls as I burst out laughing.

"You coming?" Daryl calls. To which I can't help but laugh harder as I can see Glenn get embarrassed.

"What?"

"You coming?" He calls again with a huge smile on his face. The others start to laugh as well.

"Come on we could use a hand." Daryl clarifies finally.

"Yeah, yeah well be right down." He calls after understanding. I try to catch my breath but can't help but still laugh.

"You dying there?" Rick asks me, I just shake my head.

"I'm good, I think." Giggling a bit still as I turn to go to my suburban when T stops us.

"Hey, Rick." We all turn around to see what he wants, I follow his gaze to see Axel and Oscar walking on the other side of the gate. I grab a knife on instinct.

"Come with me," Rick says to T and Daryl, I stay a bit behind with Carol.

"That close enough," Rick says as they pass the guard tower that Glenn and Maggie come out of. "We had an agreement."

"Please mister, we know that we had a deal. But you gotta understand...." Axel says. "We can't live in that place another minute. You follow me? All the bodies... people we knew, blood, brains, there are ghosts."

"Why don't you move the bodies out?" Daryl asks.

"You should be burning them?" Tdog says.

"We tried," Axel explains. "We did."

"The fence is down on the far side of the prison. Every time we drag a body out those things just lineup." Oscar explains further. "Dropping the bodies and running back inside."

"Look we had nothing to do with Thomas and Andrew." Axel gets frustrated and walks closer to Rick. I tighten my hold on my knife and pull it from the scythe. "Nothing, you're trying to prove a point? You proved it, bro. We'll do whatever it takes to be a part of your group. Just, please, please... Don't make us live in that place" He begs.

"Our deal is non-negotiable," Rick says. "You either live in your cell block or you leave."

"I told you this was a waste of time," Oscar says to Axel, both look defeated. "They ain't no different than the pricks who shot up our boys. You know how many friends corpses we had to drag out there this week? Just threw them out. Humph. These were good guys. Good guys who had our backs against the really bad dudes in the joint, like Thomas and Andrew. We've all made mistakes to get in here, chief. And I'm not going to pretend to be a saint, but believe me, we've paid our due, enough to rather hit that road than to go back into that shithole."