Chapter Twenty Five: Train Cars and a Church

We follow the tracks more till we come across some small shops on the side of the road, we decide to scavenge some more. We split into two groups, Daryl and I and the other three together, I was honestly happy to get some alone time with him, but strangely it seemed to bother him. He wasn't talking, he wasn't even really paying attention to me other than to make sure I was behind him. It was almost like we before we started dating. The silence was starting to irritate me.

"Daryl?" I say as we're going through a kitchen.

"Hn?"

"Are you okay?"

"Fine."

"Are we okay?" I ask turning. He just continues to grab a few cans out of the cabinet. "Daryl?" I ask now worried.

"Fine." He says again, still not looking at me.

"Then why are you ignoring me?"

"I'm not, I'm talking to you."

"You know what I mean." He turns to me then, anger on his face.

"Really woman? You want attention now? Want me to hold you and...." He yells getting in my face.

"Daryl!" I push him away. "What the fuck? You know that's not what I mean. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME FINE! I AM NOT A GOOD BOYFRIEND! I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE YOU WERE GONE THAT LONG! I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE TAKEN! I DIDN'T EVEN HELP HERSHEL! BETH IS NOW GONE AND I CAN'T FIND HER! HELL, I ALMOST DIDN'T EVEN LOOK FOR YOU AFTER THE PRISON! I COULDN'T EVEN PROTECT YOU FROM ALMOST GETTING RAPED!" He yells at me I sigh and let him yell. When he is done I slowly walk up to him. I place my hand on his cheek and slowly hug him.

"None of that is your fault, Daryl, You couldn't have known, Hershel, Michonne and I were gone for only a little bit, I wouldn't have expected you to start looking for us until maybe before it got dark. It's ok. As for being the best boyfriend, well hey, I'm not the best girlfriend am I? I mess up. I don't expect you to be the best boyfriend. You couldn't have helped Hershel, what happened, happened. I fucking hate that it did, but none of you could have known that was going to happen. I was right there and didn't see it till the last minute. You did protect me from getting raped, you tackled his ass and killed him, if that's not protecting me I don't know what is. As for Beth, babe, I don't know what happened, but we will find her. I'll help you." I tell him as he calms down.

"She said the same thing." He mumbles to me, I pull away not understanding for a second. "Beth, she said the same thing about you. Told me that we would find you and the others. Always had her hopes up. She helped me, in a way. But then I couldn't even find her. I couldn't keep her safe."

"Daryl..." I try to look at him at him.

"I still am a terrible boyfriend. You deserve better." He says turning away from me. "You deserve a man that would look for you."

"Daryl, what are you saying?" I ask scared now.

"You know what I'm saying." I shake my head, heart pounding in fear.

"Daryl, you say that I deserve better? Right?" He nods. "Don't I deserve what I want?" He nods again. "I want you!" I say sternly. "Does it upset me that you didn't really look for me? Yes, but I understand what you went through out there and you found me in the end."

"It doesn't count."

"I don't care. It's enough for me, it counts that were together again, here, now." I say walking up to him and putting my hand on his back. He tries to pull away and I grab his shoulder forcing him to turn around. "Don't."