Chapter Twenty Four: Follow the Tracks

Michonne, Hershel and I are sitting in an RV tied up. We had been alone for about an hour now. I can hear people outside talking, but nothing distinguishable. Michonne and I have tried to get out of the rope and zip ties many times. I was getting extremely angry and could not figure out a way to get out of this mess. I bend down to bite at the zip ties again. My gums were now bleeding.

"Esme, stop, that's not going to help you." Hershel tells me for what is now probably the 13th time. I'm about to say something when the door opens. In walks the Governor with a first aid kit.

"Glad I brought this." He says when he sees me. I spit blood in his face. He retaliates by backhanding me. I fall back onto the couch I was on.

"Leave her alone!" Michonne yells from her seat as I sit up glaring more.

"I only came in to patch you up, not be disrespected." He tells her opening up the first aid kit and taking out some gauze, he moves to clean up Michonne she fights the whole time till there is a band-aid on her wound. He then turns to me. I can feel that my eye is swelling. He comes to clean me off and I move away till I'm in the corner he bends over and still cleans off the blood on my face.

"You two girls are being ridiculous." He tells us as he is putting away the first aid kit. "Now you should eat it is going to be a long day. Nobody's going to hurt you."

"Tell that to my face." I mumble.

"I don't believe that." Hershel speaks up.

"I don't care."

"Just tell us what this is."

"It isn't personal."

"Then what is it?"

"Michonne, I want you to know... Penny, my daughter, she was dead. I know that now. Now I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt anyone. I need the prison, that's it. There are people I need to keep alive. You three are going to help me take it. No one needs to die."

"I'm going to kill you." Michonne states like it's nothing.

"No, you won't."

"I'm going to take my...."

"Stop it." Hershel interjects.

"If she doesn't, I will." I say.

"Stop it both of you, you want the prison?"

"Yeah, and I'll take it as peacefully as I can." The Governor answers.

"Governor..."

"Don't call me that."

"Your people, our people, we can find a way to live together." I scoff at Hershel and see Michonne roll her eyes. "These people you need to keep alive, do you love them?"

"Your a good man Hershel, a better man than Rick." I glare at his words.

"Rick is a better man than you will ever be." I spit at him again.

"Maybe, now just who are you? I'm sorry, I never got your name. I glare at him even more.

"Her name is Esme, she is Rick's sister, married to Daryl." Hershel answers when I won't. I raise my eyebrows at the last part.

"Oh, well you will surely help change Rick's mind." The Governor says patting my head. I go to bite his hand, he moves away quickly. "How is Daryl by the way? Missing his brother?"

I jump up at his words now and he pushes me back down. "He's probably looking for me now and when he finds you.... You will regret it!"

"Esme, enough." Hershel says again. I glare at him.