Chapter Sixteen: Prisoners

Again I was having the nightmare of walkers chasing me, but this time I was not getting anywhere, the cold and walkers were gaining on me, but I could not seem to run faster than them. When they were almost on top of me a bright light vanquishes them. When I turn around there is an angel with strange copper flaming wings, it had no face or distinctive features; except a familiar calming scent. I could not figure out where I knew this scent from, it was earth, leather, oil, and something else I could not remember.

I am sleeping comfortably when I start to hear people whispering and laughing. It was starting to annoy me so I pull my blanket around my head and try to roll over only to have something stop me. I grumble a bit and try to move again.

"Uh oh, I think I woke her up mom." I hear my nephew's voice say.

"Go away, Carl... aren't you supposed to be in school...." I say and curl up more into the warmth around me.

"Esme, I think you need to come back to reality..." I hear a voice say.

"It is too early in the morning for that..." I say trying to turn again, this time something moves next to me.

I wonder what it is, as reality suddenly hits me. I open my eyes to see a brown shirt and chest moving. I slightly sit up and look around as Daryl's poncho falls from me. How did I end up with that? His arm is still around my waist and the others are trying hard not to laugh. I feel my cheeks redden as I look back down at Daryl next to me. I slightly pick up his arm and move it from me, but at my tough, his eyes snap open.

He looks at me, pulls his arm from me, sits up and looks at the others. I look away blushing even more. "What?" I hear his tired gruff voice ask. At this Glenn and Maggie start actually laughing. Which makes everyone else laugh.

"Daryl and Aunt Esme sitting in a tree..." Carl starts to sing.

"Carl, don't even start!" I warn.

"K-I-S-S-I-N-G." He sings at me.

"That's it." I say getting up and tackling him to the ground tickling him.

"Ahhh.... No.... Dad help..." He laughs out.

"Nope, you're the one that should know that Esme doesn't like the mornings or being picked on for that matter...." Rick replies smiling at us two, as I finally stop and hold onto him by his arms.

"You done, bud?" I ask.

"Ok. ok. Sure." He says and I let him go. He gets up and runs away, only to turn around. "Daryl and Aunt Esme sitting in a...."

He only gets so far when Daryl gets him in with a noogie. We all start to laugh as Carl squirms away from him and runs behind Rick.

"Ok. Ok. Enough of that we should all eat and then get ready for the day." Rick says.

I walk over to my spot and pick up the poncho folding it. I turn to look for Daryl who was walking over to me. "I'm guessing I got cold in the middle of the night?" I ask holding the poncho out to him. "Thank you." I smile.

"Yeah, kept tossing and turning. Your welcome." He says taking it.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." I say embarrassed.

"S'okay." He says sitting down at his backpack. "Sorry about you know...." He trails off.

"No problem." I say understanding. I sit down and get my diabetic pack to check my sugar level.

As I get everything ready I keep feeling eyes on me, looking up to see Daryl watching me. He meets my eyes and looks away. I raise an eyebrow but continue to put the test strip into the reader. I glance back up to see him watching what I am doing again. I was used to this kind of thing with people who didn't know much about diabetes.